Why does my soap now look like mashed potatoes after trying to remelt it after t

1. Angela Gaskell profile image53
    Angela Gaskellposted 6 years ago

Why does my soap now look like mashed potatoes after trying to remelt it after two days?

Hi Delores.  I made my first batch of basic white soap (cocoa butter, tallow, veg. oil) and it saponified some except on the top.  I checked on it and it looked like not all the fats dissolved.  Maybe I didn't wait for enough trailings.  I tried to remelt it to make the fats combine with the batch by turning the stove top on low heat in my stock pot.  The whole thing seized up.  What do I do now?

2. Dolores Monet profile image99
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

As my dear mother always said, when in doubt, throw it out. If it's a horrible mess, just toss it and start all over again. When we are learning new things, we all goof up a time or two. Before you make a new batch remember some key things:
    1) make sure all proportions are correct. Double check all measures and remember to recalibrate the scale when you weigh, taking into account the weight of the container.
    2) make sure the lye/water solution and the fats are the same temperature when you combine
    3) when mixing, make sure the mixture reaches the trace stage - like pudding. When you pull a spoon thru the mix, it leaves a mark.

Reheating on the stove top should be done in a double boiler, not over direct heat.

I hope this helps. I threw out my first batch too. Good luck!

working