jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What is the best advise you would give to an artist just starting to sell his/he

1. Robie Benve profile image99
    Robie Benveposted 5 years ago

What is the best advise you would give to an artist just starting to sell his/her art?

2. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

Seek information about local galleries, art shows in the general area and in some cases, an agent may be sought, if the artist is a professional. Skip magazine ads or newspaper types, usually they don't pan out. If you go to magazines, seek managers of art departments or advertising. Go to art shops to consign your work or even flower shops may do so. I have even had some success with furniture stores that may buy some of your work. Just don't be disappointed when they say we want "Sofa-Sized Paintings" A degree in art or special training from a college or art school can help a resume if applying .Starting your own business teaching art to kids and adults, may be one avenue. Ads on the internet or special websites can be helpful also. A portfolio of your work is a good idea and keep more than one available, by making prints or copies of your work and put in a catalog. Your own business card, can also be a help, if you leave these at various businesses, some may post them for the public to view,and at art shows. Good luck in your new venture.

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Sell at local exhibitions or from your own home/studio, do not fall into the trap of commercial galleries this early in your career, they tend to be rip of merchants.

4. coffeegginmyrice profile image83
    coffeegginmyriceposted 5 years ago

Hi Robie!
    I was just finished with my answer to your question and clicked on the 'submit answer' button when HubPages warned: "Your answer is too long. Please make it shorter, or create a Hub instead."

Oh, dear...I will have to move it as a hub to your topic above. It turned out to be like a full page article, hahaha! It is easy to get carried away with ideas if the question is interesting to me.
    Let me first find in my picture file if I have a picture to go with the hub. I will post it soon.

5. coffeegginmyrice profile image83
    coffeegginmyriceposted 5 years ago

Are you an artist looking for best advice on how to sell your art? If it is your first time, here are some helpful tips on how to promote them. read more

6. YanaBurina profile image60
    YanaBurinaposted 5 years ago

Learn, what painting (and their prices) people is buying  there where you plan to sale you painting.
    You need gain a personal exhibition.
    Create own gallery in Internet and promote it.
    Find collectors of modern painting and agents of art auctions and to make friends with them.
    Create public galleries (shops, hotels, bars) - to promote your name.
    Expose you artworks in private galleries.
    Good luck!

7. profile image48
    Janbatposted 5 years ago

I suggest you try selling it online.  Check out:

Good luck!

8. alphagirl profile image80
    alphagirlposted 5 years ago

charge what enough to cover supplies and esp. your time. Charge for the time you spent researching and doodling, sketching to create.Don't give away your art. Everyone thinks artists don't need to make money and that its just whipped up. NO WAY.

9. KatMannel profile image65
    KatMannelposted 5 years ago

Market yourself online! Local galleries and studios usually saturate a relatively small market, not to mention that, if you sell under them, they'll usually take an overhead fee of around 50%. A great way to avoid this is tapping into online sites.

Etsy.com is a great place to sell originals or prints of your work, and also to solicit commissions. Deviantart.com is a social network of artists where you can post your work, comment on others' pieces, and receive feedback on your own work; if you pay for a membership, deviantart also has the capability to create prints for you (haven't tried it myself though--starving art student and all). This is also a great place to get commissions. A personal website is never a bad idea. Hope this helps!