jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Do you have a favorite painting that you like more than others and why?

1. suzettenaples profile image91
    suzettenaplesposted 5 years ago

Do you have a favorite painting that you like more than others and why?

The painting can be from any time period and by any artist.  The artist need not be famous, it can be someone you know personally.

2. Amy Becherer profile image74
    Amy Bechererposted 5 years ago

There are so many paintings I've never seen, I couldn't fairly say I have a favorite.  Some of the paintings I have seen included in your artist hubs, Suzette, are the first I've known of them and each one is beautiful in its own right.  All of my favorite paintings play with light.  I find cast light on any subject creates the most intriguing realistic renderings that draw me into the works, sometimes impressionism or realism, not limited to any time period or culture.  It can be sunlit, candlelit or moonlight that gives the painting an ambiance that stops me in my tracks.  It is easier for me to say that my least favorite is abstract art.  Religious themes are also not high on my list of favorites, although I have seen a few that are magnificent in their quality, technique and composition, but they tend to scare me, putting me off, more than drawing me in. 

I would have to say, of the artists I know well, my own paintings are among my favorites.  In the relatively short time I've been self teaching myself to paint with oils on canvas, I've sold three paintings that the buyer "had to have."  The most difficult part of creating art is actually giving up a painting, which begins to feel as much a part of me as a child, for cash.  It feels crass and the value of art is reduced to an amount that is quickly spent.  The art, however, lives on forever.  Creating art that will outlive me feels like an immortal endeavor.  I give myself over to each painting I create, losing all sense of time with everything else falling into the background.   

Though a trip through the St. Louis Art Museum is a humbling, awe-inspiring trip into paintings that defy earthbound expression in their beauty, they are a source of inspiration in what is possible through vision and imagination.  I haven't ruled out the possibility, the sincere hope, that someday, somehow, one of mine may come close.

1. suzettenaples profile image91
      suzettenaplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I can honestly say, Amy, that the one you painted of the half woman/deer walking in the snow is one of my favorites, for the reason you say - the lighting.  With your paintings and poetry, I think you will be immortal - and don't forget your daughter

2. Amy Becherer profile image74
      Amy Bechererposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much, Suzette.  Oh, I'd never forget my Megan.  But, even though she is my greatest miracle, she, too, is mortal.  She has no interest or desire for marriage or children.

working