jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Sewers - Do you sew with reclaimed material? What are your favorite reimagined p

1. profile image71
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

Sewers - Do you sew with reclaimed material? What are your favorite reimagined projects?

Do you cut up old jeans? Turn curtains into clothing? Transform a pillowcase into a little girl's dress?  I am curious about projects that reuse old material such as jeans, pillowcases, sheets, curtains etc.  I am sewing on a budget, and these items can easily be found at thrift stores and used for the fabric.  I'd love all the ideas I can get!

2. lindalou1963 profile image74
    lindalou1963posted 5 years ago

I have a daughter who is 21. I'm going to take her t-shirts from high school... one act play, volley ball.... and make a quilt from them.

1. profile image71
      ElleBeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very cool! I'm actually thinking of doing something similar with tshirts I have from college.

3. RTalloni profile image86
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

Handbags from denim skirts are my favorite reclaimed sewing project.

1. profile image71
      ElleBeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes these are fun! I have a bag in the works that is not made entirely of denim but will be incorporating it.  I have a plain canvas tote (which I purchased), and I am planning to sew back pockets from jeans onto the outside for extra pockets/detail.

4. Sharkye11 profile image94
    Sharkye11posted 5 years ago

I've made sheets into curtains, then used the leftover material to make a coordinating throw pillow or towel trim. As for re-purposed clothes, I have recently been turning bags and bags of clothes (that didn't sell at a yardsale) into pillows, potholders, plushie toys, baby stuff, (bibs, burpcloths), and pocket organizers. Also, sheets and curtains can be turned into pretty tablecloths for all sized tables.

I saved all the tiny scraps and am now in the process of making a crazy quilt that will match all the new curtains, pillows and tablecloths. I will have a nicely coordinated home soon. And it didn't cost me a dime!

working