jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Is a soap making business worthwhile?

1. american13 profile image76
    american13posted 5 years ago

Is a soap making business worthwhile?

Im thinking about starting one along with other ways of making income

2. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

It's a challenging one. I'm a business consultant, and one of my clients was a soap manufacturer with a boutique store. They went out of business.

Go to a Whole Foods and count the number of boutique soap brands you will be competing with. Those are all established businesses with reasonably high volume. How will you complete on price and quality. What is your unique selling proposition?

If you really love the idea and have something unique to offer, please read my hubs on starting your own business and marketing your own business. If you're still up for it, give me a holler, and I'll try to help.

1. american13 profile image76
      american13posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your timely response and good advice, SidKemp! Ill be sure to do what you recommended. At this point, it's more of an idea. It's one of the ideas I have as far as owning a small business whether it's home based or not.

2. SidKemp profile image95
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If you have a passion, go for it. If you don't, go for the one that is most likely to succeed. I'm sure my hubs and books will help.

3. viveresperando profile image74
      viveresperandoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Going to have to check out your business hubs.

4. SidKemp profile image95
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Enjoy, Viveresperando - I love to see people learning!

3. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

I don't know about soap in particular. I personally make herbal products and sell them. I make lotions and salves and tinctures and blend teas and the like. It's difficult, but you get what you put into it. If you're out there promoting it every day, you'll make some money off it.

4. Rod Marsden profile image76
    Rod Marsdenposted 5 years ago

Yes. It has been successful in the past, it is successful right now so it will probably be successful in the future. It depends on the quality of the product and how you plan on selling the soap.

5. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 5 years ago

Yes, there are already lot's of soaps out there to compete with. However, if you have a particular and unique type of soap you will make, it could very well work out for you. Possibly, make with organic products, essential oils, etc, these are things people are looking for now. Everyone needs soap. Locally, I have seen a soapmaker in a 'farmer's market' in my city, and he was there for about 6 months, no longer there. He also made small sample soaps he handed out to try. Good luck in any business you choose.

6. inding profile image67
    indingposted 5 years ago

I think it is worthwhile... and just like with most products, if you make them high-quality and appealing and you market them appropriately, they should get sold. Good luck!

7. DubstepMaker profile image61
    DubstepMakerposted 4 years ago

I don't know, do you think a soap making business is worth it for "Dove" or "irish spring" ? obviously there is a massive market for soap. Everyone needs it, and they buy it regularly. how you market your brand though will be a big determining factor on whether or not it is worth your while. good luck bro.

working