Are Amazon capsules in hubs worthwhile?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (26 posts)
  1. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

I have never earned a cent from Amazon in 4 months. Not a single cent. Also I see conflicting advice from the experts here, some say dispense with Amazon altogether, others seem to make money from Amazon.

So, just before I go and delete the Amazon capsules from all of my hubs, I thought I would at least ask the question.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Read this:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Making-Money-On … t-hubpages

You either need to write a page specifically to attract sales or not bother adding a capsule. I make good money with Amazon - but you have to work at it. Just throwing a capsule up will be a waste of time.

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's better to have then not to have even if you haven't sold a thing yet.

At least this way you have the potential to make money with them instead not a chance without it.  I didn't make anything from Amazon for about a year.

One day I one hub started making a lot of sales and then sales across the board seemed to go up. I should mention too that just because you put up links to specific items doesn't mean that is what people will buy.

I have sold some random things that have nothing to do with anything on any of my hubs but I still make commission.

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

They are best used in hubs with titles that start "buy......", so decide whether your hub is a sales page or not.

3. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Sanny, I'm getting clicks but haven't sold either. Only up for two months running so far though.

4. profile image0

Ok, Mark I read the article and get what you are saying but still have one question.

If I understand you right, then the articles where I reviewed movies and included links to amazon for the movies would work, but an article on say relationships with books about relationships it would be pointless. Is that right?

Not necessarily pointless, but I doubt very much you will make many sales. I mentioned the skillets in that one - I used to add things like skillets and knives to my recipes - I made the odd sale, but not worth the trouble.

I have not tried movies, but that might work. I do pretty good with books, but they are book reviews.

5. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Marks hub has great advice. I might add that in order to earn money with Amazon you have to write compelling sales copy. Amazon has a one session cookie which means if the person clicks on the ad then navigates somewhere else to make comparisons then goes back to Amazon to purchase, you will not get credit for that purchase.  They must make a purchase before they navigate away from Amazon.

Write copy that is informative but also short, leaving the reader wanting more.  Direct them to read the reviews on the Amazon product page and above all...ASK for the sale.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oOo, excellent advice. thanks!

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Ryan, your hubs don't have to start with the word buy to make Amazon worthwhile. But if you want to sell products, your hubs should be set up to do that. With lots of related sales and marketing copy and lots of products.

You also have to research micro niches carefully and have an idea of what you can successfully sell in a hub versus your own website. Then you have to create a series of hubs to dominate that micro niche.

I have also tried softer sales hubs, that I saw many hubbers using when I started here. Those hubs have yet to produce a sale. Although they do contribute to the adsense earnings.

Amazon can produce a lot of revenue, but you have to write a lot of sales hubs and you have to make an effort to convert. I would really recommend writing at least one sales hub a day for the next six months, if you really want to sell stuff.

That way you'll learn what works for you personally and what doesn't. Online marketing requires a lot of personal experience to learn what you can personally convert and what you can't. It's not something you can learn from others or out of a book.

But it is very possible to make a good living at it.

7. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

I've sold a few items but haven't really pushed the products on my hubs.  I may try doing some especially for Amazon products but I write for enjoyment more than financial gain.  I'm sure Nellie and Mark's advice will be sufficient if the subject is worthy.

8. profile image0

I know Sanny started this and I want to thank him for doing so cause this has really helped. I certainly can see where the hub needs to be more specific to the item.

Thank you all and Cosette love the new avi.

9. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

oh haha, thanks. my Halloween avatar....the cropping made it all blurry though neutral

10. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I hear what you are saying. In my case, I write about what I want to write about, and then, as an afterthought, in the vague hope of making a few dollars, I add a few Amazon capsules with what I think to be relevant products. From what you are saying, this won't produce income, and my experience bears this out.

I will never be (nor do I want to be) a commercial writer, and I am hopeless at sales and marketing. So perhaps it is time to say "adieu" to Amazon and stick to writing for pleasure. 

Thanks to you all for your straight, honest advice. May you all become Amazon, Adsense and eBay millionaires (if you aren't already) smile

You are right. But it is possible to combine the two. I could not survive without being able to write about what I want to write about. And if that means making fun of the sales pitch used by some electronic gadget company...........wink

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, making money is sometimes fun too!

1. sannyasinman profile image59
          sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it can be, but making money just for the sake of it is rarely satisfying. I spent many years in the corporate world, doing exactly that. I have since vowed that I will do it the other way round. Do what I like to do, what gives me pleasure, and make money, or not, as a result. 

Do you know the saying "The way to succeed is to combine who you are with what you do".  I am not a sales oriented person, and never will be.

LOL

I am very familiar. If you do not need to make money you are good to go - have some fun and don't worry about the amazon capsules. I got the impression you were hoping to make some money by adding them. And if you do decide you want to - now you know what you need to do. smile

11. profile image0

Well, I went in and took about half the articles and removed their amazon ads from them to see what would happen. Amazingly enough some have already increased in rank. How weird is that?

12. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Still a little slow, but I am starting to make a little money from Amazon - I have a lot of higher price items on my hubs (just sold a $200 dollar item, yesterday), so don't need a high click conversion. Nothing major, but it is all going into the pot for treating myself to some books next year smile

I hope to double the number of Hubs when I have a spare few days - things should tick over nicely after that.

13. Len Cannon profile image86
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

Ebay has always been a much more consistent performer for me, even before they changed their payout system.  But I very rarely target anything towards sales.

14. visitmaniac profile image59
    visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

Honestly no and I rarely ever use them. The 4% commission  your going to earn is really pure crap I think. Id rather go more on the digital product road and earn 50%

15. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

well the 4% is only if you fail to sell what 5-6 items? my rate is usually between 6-8% (diff rates for diff categories)

Amazon is worth the minimal effort it takes to implement, are there better affiliate programs? Absolutely..is their cookie time down right insulting? yep

Is ebay better for me? yep

can you do both, sure why not, some people click and are drawn into ebay by low bid prices, some people make instant purchase and trust he amazon format better

16. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

eBay vs Amazon

* If you sell eBay products, those that bid through your blog need to have the winning bid for you to get paid.  With amazon, you are awarded the commissions as soon as they buy the product.  You don’t have to worry about them winning a bid for you to get paid.
        * If the items you sell are more than $75 or so in value, you will receive higher commissions selling them on Amazon than you would on eBay.  Amazon pays a flat minimum of 4% on the sale price, whereas eBay pays on a minimum of 50% on the fees collected for the listing.
          Example
              Sale Price     Commissions
          eBay     $150     50% of $8.57
          ($2.00 listing fee + $6.57 sale fee)     =     $4.28
          Amazon     $150     4% of $150 sale price     =     $6.00
        * You can sell digital products on Amazon (downloadable music, video games, videos, books, etc.) and receive 10% commission on those sales.

this isnt quite accurate now that epn changed to a click model...but it pretty much makes the case for amazon even stronger

1. arthriticknee profile image66
      arthritickneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amazon also has the "performance" structure.
      If you sell six or less items per month, the comission is 4%
      7 - 30 items is 6%.
      This is 6% on all the items that month. So ithe more you sell the better you go.
      This makes it worthwhile to sell lots of low value items. It makes sure you get a higher comission if you sell a big ticket item.

17. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

You'd be surprised what people buy by clicking through you.  I've had people buy crotchless panties from clicking through one of my ads and I don't have any hubs about panties.  I have one bra hub and the Amazon ads are for bras.  But, I don't care what they buy once they get to Amazon. 

Someone mentioned relationship topics.  I sell a lot of books from relationship issues.  Don't discount things just because you think you're not selling anything.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)