jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think that analog photography was more charming than digital photography?

1. Wasteless Project profile image90
    Wasteless Projectposted 4 years ago

Do you think that analog photography was more charming than digital photography?

2. bredies profile image60
    brediesposted 4 years ago

Charming is not a word I would use to describe either form.
    Interesting question though.
    I guess charm comes in because it (analog) is more olde worlde.
    That being said you can create very charming photos with digital through the various settings - sepia springs to mind.

3. suzettenaples profile image90
    suzettenaplesposted 4 years ago

I liked it better than digital.  I believe it is more artistic in that you could do so much in the darkroom with the developing fluids and developing the picture.  To me it was  more of an art to get just the right shadows or lightness and darkness in certain areas.  I loved also using black and white film and developing that the most.   What I like about digital are the chips for taking the pictures.  You don't have to lug around all that film all the time which could be awkward.  But, I miss playing around with the photos when developing them and the dark room.  It seems old-fashioned and quaint today.

1. profile image60
      landjassocposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Both have their place, but, having worked with both, digital is less expensive and far less messy.  Additionally, digital offers plenty opportunity to "work with" the individual shot and print it in both color and black and white.

4. michaelatman profile image60
    michaelatmanposted 4 years ago

In my experience, there is nothing about film photography that is superior to digital. In fact, today the opposite is true. The digital dark room allows manipulation that could hardly be fathomed in the chemical predecessor. Believe me, I've done both. The debate should be over, but for some, antiques seem to have value even when the craftsmanship is wanting. It's the art that matters, not the process.

1. bredies profile image60
      brediesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Digital darkroom? Please explain or are we talking photo shop or similar to change the picture taken by the artist.
      I do think that is an entirely different thing to seeing, composing and exposing the shot.  But would love to learn more.