jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

If digital photography could exterminate film photography, why are printed books

1. Vinodkpillai profile image79
    Vinodkpillaiposted 6 years ago

If digital photography could exterminate film photography, why are printed books not extinct?

Film cameras, film rolls and the practice of shooting still photographs on film is a thing of the past. This is because it could not resist the onslaught of digital photography (maybe for good reasons!).

By the same parallel, books ought to have been extinct by now, Since we have good internet penetration and e-books on sale, why is it that printed books are still selling? Why are printed books not extinct?

2. force of habit profile image59
    force of habitposted 6 years ago

Similar to books, the use of film photgraphy may significantly decrease but will probably not go extinct... at least not in this lifetime. Photography enthusiasts and old-school photographers would still make use of or prefer film over digital photgraphy. Online news and portable tablets such as Kindle were unable to eradicate newspapers and books. Use of hardcopy content may have suffered but they are still around. I expect something similar to occur with photography.

1. profile image61
      landjassocposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Film will not go extinct but will play a reduced role in virtually all parts of photography as audio and video tape has.  Electronics has changed many things but not eliminated any.  Film will remain though harder to find and more expensive.

3. nancyme profile image58
    nancymeposted 6 years ago

maybe because u can't smell photos but books. i think you'll get the point if you have ever held a brand new book straight out of the bookshop and felt the grace and the linger of the paper and the ink. You just can't beat that with ebooks and audiobooks.

4. Premium Websites profile image75
    Premium Websitesposted 6 years ago

I enjoy being able to sit in a bath tub and read a good book - wont be doing that with a digital device.

5. Robot kid profile image55
    Robot kidposted 6 years ago

because people have a difficult time reading screens on their phones and tablets already why make them strain their eyes more

6. Denise Handlon profile image90
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

Because holding a book, reading and looking at illustrations is such a tactile as well as emotional experience.  One doesn't get the same experience from holding a technical device.   Good question.

7. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but e-books and e-readers just scream slush pile. I can read a lot on the internet but the majority of it is all crap. In other words, there is no filter. People can troll all over the place, and people who are serious can get away without editors. Print media still represents that wall between stuff you should read and stuff that isn't worth your time. That's not to say that crap doesn't get published (because we all know it does) but at this time, I would say that the amount of crap on the internet far outweighs the amount of crap in print. For that reason, e-readers aren't separate enough from the internet for me to justify reading books off of it. Right now the only thing that appeals to me about an e-reader is that you can download public domain books for free and take them with you.

working