jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Does Hubpages use extreme censorship regarding ads?

1. lrc7815 profile image87
    lrc7815posted 3 years ago

Does Hubpages use extreme censorship regarding ads?

I Hubpages "unpublished"  my hub about young women reduccing their risks of rape and muder. They sent me a warning about an ad being in violation of Terms of Use. The ad was for pepper spray. 

The warning read,
    Your Hub has been identified as a violation of our Terms of Use. This includes, but is not limited to:

Moderator Note: products

* Sales of weapons or ammunition
    * Sales of prescription or illegal drugs, or drug paraphernalia
    * Sales of alcohol or tobacco (including electronic cigarettes)
    * Links to online gambling sites

Do you think this is extreme?  Pepper spray, a weapon?

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

If HubPages identifies this item as a violation of the TOS, you should remove the ad. It's not censorship. The TOS prohibits advertising certain items in order to comply with Google AdSense policies. You agreed to abide by the TOS when you joined HubPages.

1. jlpark profile image85
      jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I was gonna say just that.

2. lrc7815 profile image87
      lrc7815posted 3 years agoin reply to this

So, pepper spray that might be used to prevent rape is considered a weapon just like a loaded AK47 used in a mass murder.  Is that right? 

I have no problem adhering to the Terms,  A definition of 'weapon" would be nice.

3. lisavollrath profile image96
      lisavollrathposted 3 years agoin reply to this

A weapon is anything you use in a physical exchange with another person. If it's not clear to you, perhaps that's something you should address with HQ through the help wizard, instead of as a rant about censorship in the QA.

working