jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Does anyone know the origin of this red clay bird Ocarina?

1. sallybea profile image100
    sallybeaposted 5 months ago

Does anyone know the origin of this red clay bird Ocarina?

It has six holes.  Perhaps the artwork and design are familiar! 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13704819_f260.jpg

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 months ago

I don't know, but it is a lovely piece of folk art. When I was very small my grandfather had one and we thought it was from Mexico. It was not shaped like a bird. Because of the color and shape we called it a sweet potato.

sallybeaposted 5 months agoin reply to this

It is lovely, simple but beautiful.  I did wonder if it was Peruvian. The design seems quite ethnic, Mexico might fit in with the design.  It does have a makers mark.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
      Rochelle Frankposted 5 months agoin reply to this

My Grandpa did spend a couple of years in Brazil when he was a young man.

3. cvanthul profile image92
    cvanthulposted 5 months ago

Ocarinas appear to date back about 12,000 years. It's first use as a 6-hole, globe shaped instrument is believed to be in China. The Maya, Inca, and Aztecs also developed this instrument, also with 6 holes, though theirs were often shaped like birds and other animals.

sallybeaposted 5 months agoin reply to this

There are hundreds of designs which are also very collectible.  The design does appear to be quite Aztec.  I wish I had thought of asking the person who sold it to me at a car boot if he knew its origin.  He had a European accent.

2. cvanthul profile image92
      cvanthulposted 5 months agoin reply to this

You said there's a maker's Mark. Maybe you research that or take the piece to a local antique shop/collector/museum who might be able to point in the right direction.

working