Are M F Hussains paintings justified?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (30 posts)
  1. free4india profile image60
    free4indiaposted 14 years ago

Do you think M F Hussain is justified in making controversial paintings... For those who dont know what is the controversy you may need to do a bit of google ....

http://www.google.co.in/url?q=http://en … _WU6FPFaSA

1. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe in artistic license. It is true he went agaist his religion in what he painted but under such rules people like Gustave Dore should have been killed before he started off.
      There is freedom in painting, like there is a freedom in speech.

Personally I like Husain's work. It's somewhat cubist.

2. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I think any artist is justified.
    I really don't see anything wrong in his paintings. I don't find them offensive. But I'm not a person who gets offended by nudity.
    And anyway, don't a lot of Hindu temples have carved images of Gods making love?
    Art is Art.
    If you don't like it, don't see it.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is about typical 'do gooders' who think they have the right to censor us because we are too idiotic to make our own choice.  Well that is what they think! 

I hate this 'nanny state'!  People say we have freedom, censorship isn't freedom!

3. free4india profile image60
    free4indiaposted 14 years ago

I really wonder about the licenses...

Does an artist have the license to draw just anything regardless of whether it hurts anyone anyways?

Does freedom of speech mean any one can just abuse anyone any time?

Does freedom of press give journalist the license to take photograph inside anyone's bath tub?

Does the driver's license give driver the license to drive into just anybody or anything ?

Does a licensed gun give the holder the right to shoot at just anything and anybody?

Well one of the side effects of globalization is that it demands all be treated equally on Internet though rules across the continents vary a lot...

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you are twisting things a little here. There is a big difference in a freedom to make fun of some one's ridiculous religious beliefs and shooting some one, or even invading their privacy by taking a photo of them in their own home. Why are you doing that? Do you think that painting an imaginary god is the same thing?

Yes - an artist should be free to paint whatever he likes. As for being attacked by religionists because he offended them. LOL I think you know my feelings on stupid religious beliefs by now. wink

tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why do you mix art with violence ?

RELAX !
      lol

3. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To answer these questions:

Does an artist have the license to draw just anything regardless of whether it hurts anyone anyways?

The thing with art is just because people draw it doesn't mean people have to look at it. Art is about reletive perspective not black and white thinking. There is an artist called Shawn Crahan who sifted through his fathers ashes to find a piece of his fathers skull and then he stuck it in his art. A lot of people found this sick; however, he saw it as a way of preserving his fathers memory and immortalising him in art.

Does freedom of speech mean any one can just abuse anyone any time?

In theory, yes, it does. However, that's the whole idea of freedom of speech. Yes, bad things have come out of freedom of speech, such as the BNP or the KKK. However, good things have also come out of it like Ghandi or Nelson Mandela.

Does freedom of press give journalist the license to take photograph inside anyone's bath tub?

Yes, assuming the anyone allows the jornalist to take the phots in the first place. Husain isn't forcing his art onto people so you can't compare him to a jornalist taking nude photos of people without their permission. That's a violation of privicy.

Does the driver's license give driver the license to drive into just anybody or anything ?

It gives the driver to drive anywhere, as long as he doesn't break the law. Relating back to Husain (and you're journalist question), he isn't breaking the law so you can't compare him to an act which is. It's like saying that I won't eat cake, therefore I'm as bad as terrorists who blew up a cake factory. What I'm doing isn't against the law, what they're doing is.

Does a licensed gun give the holder the right to shoot at just anything and anybody?

I'm not going to repeat my point again but it still stands. Basically, look up one question. It's all about the law. If he painted a picture of Mohammed (pbuh) in a rude position in Turkey then, since it is actually a crime there, I would argue that it's in poor taste; however, the whole idea behind art is the ultimate expression of ones self. If we try and stick a cork on that then we may aswell be telling people to stump their creativity.

I hope that clears some things up.

4. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Now an example... Kevin Carter was a photographer/journalist.  He wrote for time out magazine - he had a choice ... either take a photo of a starving child who was about to be pecked to death by an vulture or save the child.  He took the photo and made the world aware of these issues, but the child died.

As a journalist, they are there to observe not to intervene.  He had a choice, took the shot and won a prize for the photo.  This was art.  It is about being an observer and not a participator.

1. tantrum profile image59

Iv don't think this is a good example of art !!
      that's TERRIBLE  !!!! sad
      and no art at all !

1. profile image0

Well... there is art from Damien Hirst.  The whole thing is that in art there can be something hidden, something sinister.  Kevin Carter couldnt live with himself and committed suicide.  So, the story of his art continues.. See what I mean?  Art has a story. 

There are lots of examples of art through suffering.. The scream, for example.

I didnt want to alarm you Tantram and I think my example is extreme, but I wanted to put a point across x

Hi shaz ! You didn't alarm me.
          I only think that's EXTREME !

I don't see that as 'Art', but that's just me .

5. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

I could smear Sh$T on a cavass and most ppl would call it artwork these days!

I's done with blood !

6. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

Bloody stool...oh i's as in eyes as in aye aye aye!

1. profile image0

If thy EAR offends the.. cut it off!  hehehe van gogh

7. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

The artist in question is a Muslim. For muslims, even to have a benevelont image of God is sacrilege. He could have chosen to draw Allah in a glorious manner. He did not do it. He drew a Hindu goddess in a provocative pose. Hindu temples having statues of  couples in copulative positions is not an excuse nor is it a license for a non-Hindu to painting the Hindu Gods in embarassing poses.

If he is all that passionate about about painting Gods, let him also paint Allah. In a very very glorious manner too!  Can you imagine what will happen to him?

Lastly, this writer is neither a Muslim nor a Hindu

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This writer is another religionist though. Just a different flavor that tastes the same - hypocrisy and hatred. wink

1. thirdmillenium profile image60
        thirdmilleniumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are wrong Mark

I am a Christian and I only laugh  (even good naturedly) at people who do any defiling to Jesus picture/artifacts and thingummies.

Also, it is obvious you do not know the social conditions in India. People  (Hindus/muslims) are mostly idiots, I can tell you ( in religious matters)

Hypocrisy and hatred.
          Just like MK said.

Indians are idiots in religious matters ??
          I would like to know where you stand after such a foolish remark !

In India deities are exposed in sexual poses, carved in temples.
      I don't see any similarity in these religions.

8. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

They kill and maim not only other religionists but their own for what they consider transgressions but only human follies. Visit India and go in-depth and you will know TAntrum

I have many Indian friends.
      I don't need your advice. Not after reading you.

1. thirdmillenium profile image60
        thirdmilleniumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

be my guest

lol
      and what did the 'Christian had been doing for ages ?? Whitches, Templars, Scientists, Philosophers.....

Go and read about your beginnings.

9. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

It is important to remember that, although cases were brought against him, none actually passed and he was found innocent.

Yes, he could get sued but then again McDonalds got sued for not putting "Caution: Hot" on their coffee cups. They didn't break the law either. They were just sued by an idiot.

1. mel22 profile image60
      mel22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

water has to boil at 220 to perculate, by the time its poured and cooled it still will be near the 180 mark. If Caution hot does not register in their brain and has to be put on the cup for them then , they're probably too stupid to read also! Yes, idiot and sue happy!- didnt mean to hijack/sidetrack , keep rolling

10. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Look.. if the 'gods' were offended, then they would surely punish.  If there arent 'gods' then, there was no harm done anyway.  Which way you look at it, there really isnt any problem with the art, is there?

1. Tadeusz598 profile image77
      Tadeusz598posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religious organisations have always been very controlling when it comes to images- sometimes obsessively, violently so. This censorial tendency is one that Islam shares with Christianisty.

Religious organisations are extremely insecure about how their beliefs and dieties are represented or interpreted. I suspect this insecurity derives from a deep seated anxiety about their own beliefs: perhaps they are aware of how irrational and bizarre they are, which is why they must so eagerly squash any digression from established representational (or int eh case of Islam and Portestantism, non-representational) conventions.

11. torimari profile image69
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Art is in the eye of the beholder and is up to you. I honestly don't find his paintings controversial, but I can see why those who feel their beliefs were challenged or offended do.

However, I've seen far worse...animals being starved in the name of art in museums, poop drawings of Jesus, people killed for the sake of art. To me, some of this stuff is art and some of it is crap...to others it is art, as macabre as they are.

Art is a means to express like words. It is justified whether in bad taste or not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)