What is the most likely cause my car (97 civic) is shutting of on me?

Just replaced the alternator, btw it was used but we tested it and it passed, I took the car out for the third time after driving it short distances and it started to jerk and sputter, I pressed the gas to keep it from stalling but it didnt make a diff, just kept jerking and finally came to a dead stop, after that the car woulnt start on its own I had to get jumped and drove it to a lot about 50 feet away. I have jump started the car multiple times but once we remove the jumper cables the engine begins to slowly die as if its losing power and eventually it just dies.

lions44 profile image99

CJ Kelly (lions44) says

Victor Silva 10 months ago

havent tested the battery but like you someone else has said that the battery could have gone bad due to the alternator.

I dont know tons about cars but shouldnt the car be able to stay on after jump starting it even if the battery is bad?