jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)

please give basic car driving tips

1. profile image0
    buddhaanalysisposted 5 years ago

Q1. please tell me does half pressed clutch of car works like break ?
    Q2. while turning gear should be at first or second ?

and your valuable tips which you have.

Thanks

1. Aficionada profile image90
      Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If the car is in neutral (with the clutch pressed in fully) then natural and physical forces (car's speed and momentum, gravity, terrain) will contribute to either speeding up or slowing down the movement and speed of the car. 

If the clutch is pressed in part way, there will be some internal resistance in the engine which will help to slow the car down, but it will also wear out the clutch much faster! A better solution is to downshift completely into a lower gear and let the lower gear slow the car down (but do not downshift into first gear for this purpose).

First gear is used almost exclusively for starting up from a complete stop, so a turn would most likely be taken in second gear.

Driving with a standard transmission is a lot of fun, and I miss having that opportunity!

1. profile image0
        buddhaanalysisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Aficionada

Thank you v much for ur valuable and expert comments and helping me.

2. Sally's Trove profile image85
        Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A+ for the good advice and also for sharing that you miss the pleasure of driving a standard/manual transmission car. Maybe we should each go buy one the next time around!

1. profile image0

oh! yes sure.

2. Sally's Trove profile image85

You can see that Aficionada and I love driving a "gear-shift" car...if you could share a bit more about your driving experience, maybe we could be of more help.

Meanwhile, as Aficionada said, "If the clutch is pressed in part way, there will be some internal resistance in the engine which will help to slow the car down, but it will also wear out the clutch much faster." This practice is called "riding the clutch" and it is guaranteed to cost you a lot of money to fix. But another way to ride the clutch, equally as damaging, is if you continuously give the car too much gas while you are releasing the clutch between shifts. Sometimes you can't help it, when you're learning, as in if you need to make the car go up a hill from a dead stop. But you should not be racing the engine, with your foot partly depressing the clutch, in between first and second gear, second and third, and so on (if you're going to be driving an 18-wheeler, the "so on" could go to 15 or more gears!).

I love this topic.

1. profile image0

Sally's Trove

Thanks for additional info and liking topic.

3. Sally's Trove profile image85

You might get more and better answers if you posted your question in the Hubber's Hangout or Sandbox, or even made it a question in the Q/A section of this site.

"Need Help?" is a forum category for getting help with HubPages issues, not with personal ones.

1. profile image0

ok,i asked it in Question section.
        smile

working