OMG can you believe this?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (50 posts)
  1. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I think I am in shock. My daughter will be 16 in 2 weeks and wants me to teach her how to drive my car. I cant believe I have a child that old? LOL. The car I have is standard.

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a series of posts on how to drive a stick here: http://www.funandsafedriving.com/forum-1.html

Might help you to get her organized smile

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm.  Is this what you two had up your sleeve? wink  Automotive?

2. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

be ready for a trade in after you teach her:) I learned on a standard (manual) and thought my son to drive manual also

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

OMG....... Shouldn't you be worrying More About your Car? smile

kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

HAHA yea tell me about it but she should learn though. My first car I ever bought was standard and I learned on my own. I hate people telling me how to do things but in all honesty, she is blond and I'm worried, but she has to learn..

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe you have a 16 year old kid.  You look fabulous. big_smile

Thanks sandra. I think I am dreaming half the time too, I just cant believe she is that old. I had her at 17, almost 18. LOL

1. profile image0

So you are 34?

I am 33, will be 34 on Feb. 1st.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Believe Me.. You don't have to be Blond to dislike being told what to do.... But of course it helps! smile

Well I mean, love her to death but sometimes she just don't think, ya know..

1. Pearldiver profile image67

Hahaha isn't it funny how the kids always choose to inherit your best jeans lol

Hay now. No I am mechanically inclined for one. Seriously!!

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Teach her the gearbox and clutch for a while without starting the car, should save a bit of wear and tear on the drive-train! smile

4. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

OMG.....you look too young to have a 16 year old! smile

1. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree!

Seriously though, won't you consider formal driving lessons? My husband enrolled in one and after 1 year, he's driving like a pro. He was made to drive through heavy traffic, "hang" while going up a bridge / incline and other such things.

Doesn't that cost? If it does, I cant afford it. She can learn, I did without any lessons! The first car I ever wanted was standard, and I didnt know how to drive it, but I wanted it, so I learned. She wants to learn how to drive my car, BAD. So I am thinking she will....

1. emievil profile image68
          emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are advantages with getting formal lessons and you'll be sure the first car she will run on a ditch or against the wall (heaven forbid!) is not yours smile. just kidding. I don't like manual / stick shift / clutch driving because I am a clutch driver. I'd rather go for the automatic. Unfortunately, here, an automatic car is more expensive than a manual car. I guess this is why my husband took the formal lessons for clutch driving smile.

I got my first driving lessons 5 years ago by borrowing my aunt's car and having a pro driver teach me on a not-so-busy subdivision. After two sessions, I drove the car on a busy road and a highway. It went well (considering it was a manual car) but I don't think my aunt will let me borrow hers again smile.

5. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Seriouly, you look too young to have a 16 year old.  Wow, and I wish you all luck in learning to drive...share you stories smile

Thank you so much, me neither. I posted a pic of her on my hair coloring hub, she colors my hair, and is very good at it...

1. beautyrose profile image61
        beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh so that's not the real color of your hair. it looks almost whitish.

No Its not natural, Kala colors my hair, Its not white though.

6. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Seriously, find a VERY LARGE parking lot and let her have at it...and for a very long time!

Ya thats what I was telling her. She wants to try in my driveway but there's things she could hit, if she was to drop the clutch which scares me, so I am going to take her someplace where there isn't anything around. hmmm, maybe when I start to teach her, I shall write a hub about teaching a teen to drive standard. lol

1. profile image0

You mean manual?

No my car is standard. Clutch drivin...Oh I guess you call it manual LOL

1. Pearldiver profile image67

lol lol ............... SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Funny lol
            Maybe a standard manual?

2. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've taught three teens to drive and let me tell you, it's very scary. Find the biggest parking lot you can find! smile

7. kmackey32 profile image65

I'm am just ready to cry, I cant believe and don't wanna believe that she is that old...

Don't cry now reserve your tears when you become a grandma lols

OMG I dont wanna think of being a gramma, now stop. LOL

8. Beth100 profile image67
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Boy, your lucky!  My daughter is turning 14 next month and began her driving lessons at 12!  My son is 13 and is already driving.....  I'm shopping very carefully for their car -- it's going to be an beautiful, sleek and shiny '67 Buick Le Sabre....that way they can't afford the gas (or the insurance) to drive anywhere!!! lol And, it's like a tank so they can't get injured.  And, they'll be too embarrassed to drive it anywhere!  ha ha ha  (pay back for all the grey hairs they've given me with them driving!) big_smile lol  tongue

OMG, where are you from? Kids are allowed to drive that yourng? where?

1. Beth100 profile image67
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

We live out in the country in Canada (sshhhh, don't want the RCMP looking for us... ha ha ha)  I was driving by the time I was 13 (that was also in Canada but I was driving legally).  My son's been driving the tractor since he was 8!  Talking about scary!

OMG that is scarry. WOW

Well, it was scary, but now that I'm facing drugs, alcohol and sex that is rampant at the high schools and malls, the driving thing isn't so scary.  At least we were there next to them.  The other things can happen without me being present and that is really scary!

1. profile image60
              logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So why are you doing drugs, alcohol, and sex at schools and malls.  Shouldn't that be done in the privacy of the home? smile

Very funny...ha ha ha.  I caught that when I wrote it, but didn't edit it in time for ya...should read that the students are doing that!

1. profile image60
                  logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Right!  That's what they all say! smilesmile

lol

2. beautyrose profile image61

yes i knew it was the kids your talking not you lols.

2. beautyrose profile image61

lols she's from canada.

9. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Tips for when my dad taught me how to drive.

He put a box in the back of the truck.  It was to help me come to a stop smoothly.  If whatever he put in the bed of the truck moved he deducted points.  Yes, my dad was totally like that.

He made me drive backwards around along and around curbs.

He made me parallel park in the tightest spots possible. 

Also, when I learned to drive stick, basically I learned on the go.  I learned how to shift and feather in the drive way but didn't really learn until I got on the street.  It's enough to make you learn fast.

10. kmackey32 profile image65

Well, ya see, I am a person that has to have something to do, I think this is why I drive clutch. LOL I just hate having nothing to do. LOL But my daughter is different than me. Both my cars are standard so I think I better figure something out...

11. tjthudium1996 profile image57
    tjthudium1996posted 14 years ago

Kids grow up SOOOO fast! lol

12. profile image60

So why let the kids have all the fun? smile

is sex, drug and alcohol fun? I think not. Beth is telling she's afraid  her kids for that since it rampant in high school.

1. Misha profile image65
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG lol Thank you for gigantic giggles lol

13. profile image60

Just being facetious.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)