jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should there be a federal motorcycle helmet law?

1. RavenBiker profile image61
    RavenBikerposted 6 years ago

Should there be a federal motorcycle helmet law?

Every state has their own laws concerning motorcycle helmets.  Some have them whereas others do not.  If you are in favor for such a law, who is the law protecting?

2. lbramos profile image75
    lbramosposted 6 years ago

As a biker, I know the importance of wearing a helmet! I know several cases of people dying or staying in pretty bad shape for not wearing a helmet! People have to understand that's is for their own safety! read more

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I think the states should continue to decide if they want a helmet law or not.
    However it would not surprise if eventually they all pass one. When I lived in California it upset a lot of people when the law passed. However like most things including wearing seat belts and no-smoking in buildings eventually it becomes the accepted norm. I can't imagine driving without a seat belt now.

The helment law is believed to protect bikers from possible brain damage or skull fractures in the event of an accident. There were a couple of high profile instances that took place in California fairly close together. Those accidents probably led to the passage of the law sooner rather than later.

4. SheriSapp profile image60
    SheriSappposted 6 years ago

My instinct is to say yes because I am forced to wear a seat belt in a car and a car offers MUCH more protection than a motorcycle.However, if somebody is stupid enough to freely choose to ride without a helmut,is their brain actually worth protecting??

5. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

If you own a cage and are mad that you have to wear a seat belt, that sucks for you and maybe you should have protested. A federal helmet law won't go into effect, because bikers are a tight group and have some rallying power. I don't believe the government should tell you anything about your own personal life. All it does is permit more methods for them to collect money. The average police officer makes between $30,000 and $50,000 annually depending on jurisdiction, but writes in excess of $100,000 in traffic citations a year. Also, no criminology study has ever proven that more cops=less crime. Every DPS knows this and it is in several criminal justice textbooks. They just want more Gestapo troops writing tickets. I ride without a helmet most of the time. Why? Because I can. Maybe they can recommend some training wheels also. Make your own informed decisions and don't give the government more authority than they already have. When did we lose our sense of personal responsibility?

6. profile image52
    jonardgolleposted 5 years ago

I would have to agree on such law because it is definitely promote safe riding among those who use motorcycles as their common means of transportation. This is also going to be a relief to a number of insurance companies.

working