What could be causing my car to leak oil?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Larindae profile image53
    Larindaeposted 12 years ago

What could be causing my car to leak oil?

I have a 1998 Honda Accord with over 200,000 miles. It always had a slow oil leak but when I took it for its routine oil change I was told it could not be done because I have a oil leak and there was oil in the bottom of the pan. I was just going to go somewhere else but a few days later my oil light came on. I put 2 quarts in and it only lasted maybe 15 miles and the light came backed on. Now the oil pours out almost as soon as I put it in. There was no huge problem until I went for that oil change.

2. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 12 years ago

His excuse for not changing the oil makes no sense to me. Perhaps the oil pan gasket blew out. Or the oil pan gasket bolts are loose and it's running out. Or maybe the oil pan screw is loose and oil leaking by there. Without seeing it, impossible to say. Oil filter loose or hole in it.The tech who refused to check it should have been able to tell you where the problem was. Or perhaps the tech who refused, actually tried to remove the oil filter but couldn't get it loose, and damaged the oil filter (hole in it).

3. Larindae profile image53
    Larindaeposted 12 years ago

That is what I am thinking. Luckly I can get a mechanic to look at this week. It is an old car and has had a slow oil leak for years and I always got the oil changed on time. I was confused as well when I was told that the oil change could not happen because there was oil found in the oil pan. It was at a Walmart service center. The day after I was told this my oil light came on and oil has been pouring out almosy as fast as I put it in. I can put a quart in and drive down the street a mile and the light comes back on. There is no smoke out my tail pipes and I do not see any burning smoke of oil under the hood. So from what i have researched it has to be the pan or the plug. I just like to know some information before I go to the mechanis so I am not taken advantage of being a women and all. Thanks for the reply. I think I will be calling the manager at Walmart about this as well. The idiot did something and didn't tell me the whole truth on why the oil couldn't be changed.

4. wesley5159214 profile image61
    wesley5159214posted 12 years ago

Since it is such a large leak I would venture to say that it is your oil pressure sensor.  When these leak it tends to leak drastically.  If that is not the problem then your oil filter might have a hole in it or in the worst case scenario you some how have a hole in your engine block.  This is unlikely since you have proper function of your vehicle except for the leak.

5. WrenchWench profile image92
    WrenchWenchposted 6 years ago

Is oil leaking from your car or truck? Want to know why that's happening or how to fix it? Great! You've found the right article here! read more

6. MarcoGuru profile image56
    MarcoGuruposted 6 years ago

Walmart has some funny rules to cover themselves. As for your oil leak. Stop driving it until you get it looked at.
    Could be as simple as the oil pressure sensor, drain plug itself , or front main or ream main seal (more costly).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)