Is anyone else seriously worried about the BP oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. James L profile image69
    James Lposted 13 years ago

Is anyone else seriously worried about the BP oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico?

I've been staying on top of all the news reports and findings as well as researching the effects of previous oil spills and it seem the more I learn the more unsettling this whole situation becomes.

2. pippap profile image79
    pippapposted 13 years ago

I am with you, James.  I live on the west coast of British Columbia; and, we are expecting that muck to hit our waters.  I am very concerned that we may have done more damage than we are able to fix this time.  Unfortunately, we took the chance because money talks (LOUDLY), we rolled the dice; and, we came up craps.

I hope this halts ALL future offshore drilling!

3. Emissionguy profile image75
    Emissionguyposted 13 years ago

I'm mad as hell. I hope the Louisianna Governor starts locking up oil company execs for criminal charges.

They should just colapse the field then it won't leak any more, but then they won't be able to get any oil from it in the future.

All the oil comapny actions early on were about saving the rig now its about saving the oil field.

The US military should throw the oil company people out, colapse the field, and sue them for the cleanup and bring criminal charges.

BP won't survive this debacle, there will be a hostile takeover of the company by Shell or Exxon/Mobil

4. Derek D profile image60
    Derek Dposted 13 years ago

Furious doesn't even come close to describing my anger.
    This whole incident is a complete fiasco. The environmental impact is going to be felt for years to come. Not to mention the number of families whose lively hood has been destroyed by this mess.
    I hope BP goes under !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. profile image0
    SilverGenesposted 13 years ago

This is a terrible disaster and one that should be a huge wakeup call to the entire planet. Personally, I'm fed up with money being the driving force behind everything. And pippap, it looks like the BC government is seriously considering doing the same thing off the BC coast.

6. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

I am, its sad how slow they are working to repair the leek. I hope everyone is driving by bp when you need to fill up the tank!!!

7. profile image0
    woolman60posted 13 years ago

BP's stock plummeted and took much of the market down with it today as the federal government announced criminal and civil investigations into the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. BP engineers, meanwhile, tried to recover from a failed attempt to stop the gusher with an effort that will initially make the leak worse.

Enough is Enough already BP clean up your freaking mess.

8. GNelson profile image60
    GNelsonposted 13 years ago

This is just another case where the risk is borne by the public and the rewards go to the corporation.  “Drill baby drill” is the call of the Jackal.  I think BP will do enough to survive as a corporation.  The problems they cause in the Gulf will be pushed to the local economies and wildlife.  BP will continue to answer the Jackal’s call.

9. Edweirdo profile image85
    Edweirdoposted 13 years ago

One of the inevitable consequences of the unprecedented 2010 Gulf BP Oil Spill will be a dire impact on many endangered animal species in the region, quite a few of which were already in trouble before the massive release of BP oil into the Gulf. See a list of some of the endangered animals in the path of the BP oil spill, and learn interesting endangered species facts about animals endangered by the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. read more

10. Writer David profile image59
    Writer Davidposted 13 years ago

It's far, far too late to be worried.  The damage is done.  Dolphins, sea turtles, herons and pelicans are washing up on our shores.  The gulf, as we knew it, will most likely never be the way it was.  BP has to answer for this.  As I have said in my hub, now is not the time to be casting blame.  Right now, we need to focus our attention on stopping this oil gusher in the gulf.

11. Andy471 profile image60
    Andy471posted 13 years ago

Yes.  I am seriously worried.  I can see BP filing for bankruptcy and leaving a giant mess for the U.S. taxpayer to clean up.  The government needs to step in soon if it does not get fixed.  This will effect the south's economy and the U.S.'s economy.  It is starting to become a major issue for the Obama administration.  I really don't think Obama has the leadership skills to deal with a major problem like this oil spill.  BP sure is slow to ask for help or tell the truth about how bad the spill has gotten.

12. Artin2010 profile image67
    Artin2010posted 13 years ago

I am saddened that it has come to this. This is truly a castrophe of unreckoned proportions. Millions of people and animals alike depend on the environmental infrastructure of the Northern Gulf and now there will be drastic changes for sure. We can only speculate what the total effects from this will be. I promise, it won't be good. I pray for the best possible outcome and that the suffering caused by this does not spread all over the world.The chase for capital gains goes on, the shame goes away!

13. byee profile image77
    byeeposted 13 years ago

Yes, "unsettling" is a good word for it.  My chest aches when I see photos and videos of the disaster--physical effects we can see with our eyes.  I get an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, even though I don't live close to the disaster area.  I try to stay on top of the news as well but this is going to go on for a long time.

14. Steppeno profile image67
    Steppenoposted 13 years ago

The BP oil spill in the gulf coast is only part of a much larger problem that I have tried to explain in my latest hub http://hubpages.com/hub/Oil-Spills-Lead … s-Tsunamis ... We will see further disasters of global proportions in the near future, and it is my theory that the oil we are constantly pumping from our planet is behind a majority of these problems. We should find ourselves worried about our planet and what we are doing to it on a daily basis.

15. Wealthmadehealthy profile image59
    Wealthmadehealthyposted 13 years ago

This whole situation I have no words for.  Looking at the beautiful Pelicans, Gulls, covered in oil, watching as the wondrous dolphin washes ashore dead due to lack of oxygen, the marsh life, the water, the fishing, the everything gone down the tubes.   Many a morning I would wake and walk along a pristine shore, watching the birds dive for fish,  go offshore and fish for marlin, red fish, grouper.......I am glad to have had the experiences I have had....Now watching Alex, and yet he is the first of a really bad season for hurricanes this year.....I wrote two hubs the day it happened.     I knew what was coming....and what is to come. 

It is not pretty.....but we must remember...this is all written in our Bibles.  The prophecies will come true as man has continued on a way that is not Gods way.     BP should have known better than to break their drilling contract and drill deeper than allowed, but greed for black gold drove them on.......The mess created will take generations to clean....Sick???   I am devastated.   I love the ocean....and all the life in it which now seems to be perishing for an oil companies greed for money.     I for one, am NOT buying gas at BP stations....but now they are saying the owners and employees of those stations are suffering......It is like a ball of string growing larger and larger.......
    As hurricane season progresses, it will all move inland.   I lived on the coast for over 30 years.   A hurricane watcher and lived the challenges after one.   The only thing we are able to do is pray and ask Gods forgiveness.......For in reality, God allowed this to happen....It is written.....but sick over it, yes I am....

16. Caterino profile image60
    Caterinoposted 13 years ago

I am starting t think there is no oil spill really.  Obama doesn't think it merits consideration, BP says it is a small leak.  The media doesn't report on it any longer.  Meanwhile the oil disaster is killing wildlife by the thousands and putting so many people out of work.  I don't blame Obama or BP, I blame Americans for letting our fine politicians get so far out of control.

17. RNMSN profile image60
    RNMSNposted 13 years ago

Andy 471 you hit the nail on the head I couldnt agree more...does this remind anyone else about the slow response of katrina?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)