jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

How do you make engine valve tapping stop?

1. profile image50
    Lisadrozposted 5 years ago

How do you make engine valve tapping stop?

I was told my oil level was low, and even after an oil change and normal oil levels, it still mak the tapping noise. Is there anything I can do (short of a new engine) that will make the tapping noise stop???

1. JP993 profile image88
      JP993posted 5 years ago

What car do you have? If it is an older car and has an overhead valve engine, then the tappets can be adjusted to close the gaps. These types of engines generally tap with age.

If your car's engine is an overhead cam engine then the tappin is usually more serious as generally overhead cam engines rarely tap as they have hydraulic lifters.

You want to listen to the engine and determine whether the sound is a tappin or knocking. Knocking means new engine.

1. profile image50
        Lisadrozposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your reply.... It's a 2004 Infiniti FX-35. A 3.5Liter v6 double overhead cam. It's def tapping not knocking (according to the Infiniti dealership). I guess it's time for a new car?? sad. It's so nice not having a car payment.

2. JP993 profile image88
        JP993posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You might of thrown a lifter out. Take it to a garage and ask them to find out what it is. It could be so many things. A dealership wouldn't know what the problem is as they wouldnt be mechanic's just salesmen.

2. cardoctor2 profile image39
      cardoctor2posted 4 years ago

Bummer deal... While lots of fans offer ideas to help you, they are not up on the facts of the problem causing your worry over the meaning, and best way of ending your engine valve tap.

The reason fresh oil didn't end your noise is because oil is an  accomplish to the problem. Just check disassembled motors in any garage. They all have sludge in them - the cause of your problem. I know, I'm a mechanic.

Here's the point: With each oil change, a thin film of acid loaded oil breakdown residues [technical name for sludge] build-up inside your motors many valve lifters. They also coat the valves the lifters  causing the adjuster to fall, creating a space. The same with residues on valves cause them to close slower - creating a space. The parts hit as they overcome the space with a tap tap tap sound. Also, a rough engine idle maybe, and oil burning results.

Us mechanics will dismantle the top part of your motor and replace your valves and valve lifters after steam cleaning your motor, for $2000, more or less, to end the tapping.

Additives from part stores and quick lubes - which have solvents, have been a rinse out way to remove sludge - in hopes of preventing, or end valve tap. They don't! Remember...

Those product labels tell you they are harmful to your engine and strict  time limits for their presence in the engine is given. Does that sound safe? Its not! 

So if chosen, remember the warning is because as solvent motor flushes do clean, they also strip the lube film off your pistons, bearings, valves and gears - if added to your transmission. That is not good, and the damage of those part store and quick lube engine flushes, many car owners discovered.

With new chemistry technology using anti=wear cleaners, Mega Power's Engine Valve Treatment uses a simple 100% safe, 2-step method to get your motor to run smooth, powerful and quiet again.  I suggest you try Mega Power as it sounds exactly like what you need!

Any car owner can easily install Mega Power to end both causes of your tap. Mega Power cleans and frees your sticky dirty, problem-causing valve and valve lifter condition. Add. Driving does the fix.

Copy and paste this link to Learn more and online ordering at this link: http://www.auto-tune-up-and-repair-opti … alves.html

Hope this helps...george

3. cardoctor2 profile image39
      cardoctor2posted 22 months ago

Best ways to end engine valve tapping yourself using valve tap ending products.  Tips, advice, product description usage. Harmful products to avoid. read more

4. Rich kelley profile image59
      Rich kelleyposted 19 months ago

All the free guesses in the world will not solve your problem. A quick search on Google shows several common causes for "tapping" noises on your make and engine model of car. One being  the primary timing chain, guides and tensioner, they become worn and need to be replaced. Go to the dealer that works on your brand of car, pay the diagnostic fee to find out what the cause is and what the cost would be to repair, then decide if you want the new car payment or not.

As a side note, an oil change(new oil) or additives has never fixed a car.

1. cardoctor2 profile image39
        cardoctor2posted 9 months agoin reply to this

Dear Rich Kelly.
        As a mechanic, and one who trains them in car repair practices, from that background, use of  additives do fix cars! Where sludge, caused sticking, blocks oil delivery to lifters, holds valves open are chemical repairs of additives.

2. Rich kelley profile image59
        Rich kelleyposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Having a different opinion is not a challenge to your credentials. Your credentials, don't refute what I said either. Correct the cause of sludge,and the problems you correct with chemicals will not be needed. I understand Band-Aid repair.

working