jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Why do we pay a lot of money for a car and then drive around advertising the mod

1. BkCreative profile image69
    BkCreativeposted 5 years ago

Why do we pay a lot of money for a car and then drive around advertising the model for free?

Manufacturers not only put the model name on the car they also add identifying symbols. Some dealers are even brazen enough to place a frame around the license plate so they too can get free advertising. Why do we accept this?

2. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 5 years ago

This is a very interesting question. Kinda' like Polo before polo shirts became an everyday thing. I'm puzzled and will give some thought and ask some questions.

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I suppose it is because we don't have much choice. Clothing is different. The more expensive quality "off-the-rack" clothing of a famous brand will rarely show much of a logo. But the cheaper line of the same brand will usually be something like a t-shirt with the brand name or logo written across the front like placard. So poorer people get to pay money just to be a walking advertisement for a brand of clothing.

4. artrush73 profile image58
    artrush73posted 5 years ago

I have read through all the answers but haven't found the answer. BkCreative you have asked very interesting question and one of true answers I could provide could be because people are willing to pay for the brand. For example, if Hyundai manufacturer would put BMW symbols on the car would people buy knowing the fact that it is not original manufacturer made?
    It is also up to us whether we want to keep the symbols of the car. There is no law saying that owner of vehicle should keep the original signs on the vehicle. This way we don't have to advertise.   
    Also people keep the symbols to show their class. The more expensive vehicle is the high the class the person is at.
    Is this the answer you're looking for or you want to hear something else?
    People don't care... You have thought about this and it made you think. But what about others? Do they think about such things? People don't care and manufacturers do, that's why people pay and manufacturers get the money and free advertising.

1. Laura Schneider profile image91
      Laura Schneiderposted 5 years agoin reply to this

With cars, although dealership symbols are generally removable if done carefully, manufacturer's symbols generally damage the paint if removed, unfortunately. (Been there...) Some vehicles mold their brand right into the body of the vehicle--sheesh!

5. Laura Schneider profile image91
    Laura Schneiderposted 5 years ago

Since I was a small child I have hated this, not just for cars, but clothes, shoes, and any number of other products. I would rip the brand names carefully off my clothes with a seam ripper whenever possible to keep them from showing, but still: it was and is difficult sometimes to find clothing, purses, etc. that don't hit you over the head with their blatant advertising.

I have no answers, but I share your frustration: We already bought the product, are we now supposed to be bulletin boards for the manufacturer, too, usually at a higher price for clothing and jewelry and such?