jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

How often do you replace your car with a new one?

1. Anjili profile image82
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

How often do you replace your car with a new one?

Do you use it until you can’t drive it anymore?

2. charmike4 profile image73
    charmike4posted 5 years ago

Hi Anjili - I replace my car every 3 years. I run a lease that expires at the end of 3 years and it has a final balloon payment. When I quit the car anything that I get over and above the final payment is mine - tax free! I generally like the feel and smell of a new car so I'm keen to replace them once they generally come out of warranty and to maximise the value. That way I don't have huge repair costs and less chance of a breakdown.
    Another reason is that my cars generally have under 50,000 kms on the clock - this helps to maximise the trade in value.
    For my wife's car we pay it off over 5 years and then sell it. It will have under 10,000 kms on the clock (she doesn't drive far) and we either use the value to off set the trade in or go on a holiday and do it all over again!
    Cheers Michael

3. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 5 years ago

I can't afford a used car much less a new one.  I just had my old one towed away.

4. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

We try to hang on to our cars as long as possible.  On average, we probably get a new (or pre-owned) car about every eight years.  We have been very fortunate and blessed with cars that do keep pretty well through the years.

5. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 5 years ago

Only when the old car's bumper is scraping the road, the paint is peeling off, the tires are worn down, and engine is making funny noises and refuses to start.  Then I will look for a new car (and when I say "new", I mean a "new" and "used" car:)  I cannot afford to just go out and buy a new car!  I am happy with what works!

Anjiliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

A very interesting point of view and practical too

2. justmesuzanne profile image88
      justmesuzanneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good for you, Emily! Me too!

6. profile image0
    Gusserposted 5 years ago

Each  new model year. My truck and the little womans car.

Anjiliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Takes care of both of you

7. justmesuzanne profile image88
    justmesuzanneposted 5 years ago

I have had my car since 1995, and when it dies, I will either not replace it or replace both it and my house with a small motorhome.

working