Is it better to re-finance a car or to just buy a newer model?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

Is it better to re-finance a car or to just buy a newer model?

We are thinking about re-financing our car at the end of the year.  We have another car payment wrapped up in the loan.  We would like for our car payment to be less than it is and I am wondering what would be the best option.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years ago

I once faced that decision when my money was really tight.  Making the payments lower meant I'd have to pay on it an additional 3 years, when I had only 18 months to go.  A friend of mine advised me to bite the bullet and get it over with.  I'm glad I took her advice - especially since the car served me well another six years after my last payment!
    The only good reason for buying a newer model is if your old car is no longer functioning well.
    Just my two cents worth.

Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your 2 cents.  Our 2013 Kia Soul is guarenteed to last 10+ yrs.

Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The car I spoke of lasted me over 9 years. I bought it used; it was a 1995 Toyota Camry. It's the best car I ever had. It had 115,000 miles on it when I bought it; I drove it up to 355,000 miles!

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

Twice I had to refinance a car and both cars needed new transmissions.  In both situations I still owed a lot of money on the cars and would have been in a more difficult financial situation.  Doing it this way allowed me to get the maintenance done and give me a lower payment even though it took me longer to pay off.  Getting the transmission work done allowed me to drive both cars for a while after the last payment was made.  Unless your car needs serious maintenance, it is best to refinance it.  Whenever you can financially, still make your original payment and get it paid off sooner.  Once you make that final payment, keep paying yourself a car payment.  Each month put whatever ypu normally pay on the car payment into your savings account.

LOL what is a savings account when you have a house?  Things and repairs always come up with that.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know, I am always dipping into my savings.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

I would never refinance a car. I always strive to payoff car loans as soon as possible. If you're a home owner it's probably best to take out a small equity home loan to purchase cars. The rates are lower.
    You also get a tax deduction on the interest of a home equity loan.
    I also tend to keep my cars for many years if there is nothing consistently wrong with them. I once had a Toyota Celica GT for 18 years. I had a 5 year loan so I went 13 years without a car payment!
    Both me and my wife currently drive cars that are over 13 years old. We invest our money in our home and have some rental properties. We also enjoy spending that money on vacations. Priorities vary.
    I have friends who have never felt what it was like to NOT have a car payment. They're always buying a new car every 5 years or less. Some even trade in cars they haven't paid off which gets bundled into their new car loan! It's hard to get ahead that way.

Our car we were still paying on was bundled with this 1. Prior to that we dint have a car loan.  We have a 2013 Kia Soul.  Long story how we had a prior refi on car and not house. I wuld rather no car loan at all.

Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

dashingscorpio - you sound like a very wise money manager!

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image60

I too dashing try to pay off a car loan ahead of time.  I try to pay an extra $100 a month.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image67

I try to pay everything off early.  My husband, he doesn't do that.  He pays the exact amount that is due and the day it is due.  I hate that!

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image60

My hubby got better at that but it took a while to train him.  I would say maybe it is a man thing but I know a lot of men who are very responsible when it comes to finances

5. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 9 years ago

It would be wiser to buy a newer model, than to refinance an old car.  Cars depreciate in value and break down over time.  They are the biggest money pits out there.  You'll be paying the money anyway, might as well be on a new car.

Thak you for the answer.

6. AJB84 profile image60
    AJB84posted 9 years ago

That all depends on your cars current value and how much you owe. Another important factor is how many more miles you looking to get out of it. Normally customers will refinance because they want a lower payment along with a better Apr , so to answer that question logically you would have to take a look at what you have and what you are looking to accomplish. Getting a new car will only make your payment higher though unless you owe less than the value and trade in. Which is almost never the case.

7. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

buy a new model if your car is over 6 years old, mine was 8 years old before i changed to the new model, face lift twice

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)