jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Do you feel the 'Big 3' auto maker bail outs were justified?

1. Denise Handlon profile image91
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

Do you feel the 'Big 3' auto maker bail outs were justified?

Since Obama has helped Michigan's 'Big 3' automakers stay afloat I'm wondering if there are any opinions as to whether this has helped the workers and economy...or merely helped the top executives in the companies?

2. profile image0
    Gusserposted 5 years ago

Big 2--Ford declined the offer. It helped the unions and the political party they support.

3. MickiS profile image83
    MickiSposted 5 years ago

If we truly believe in a free and competitive marketplace in the United States, shouldn't we have left the Big 3 to fend for themselves?

I guess I'm answering a question with a question. No, I don't think it helped anyone at the automakers, or the economy. The Big 3 got themselves into their situations by mismanagement and not remaining competitive with the rest of the world's automakers. Only if they are forced to compete will they ever rectify that situation.

By that logic, one would predict that Ford should be the better for it, in the long run.

1. Denise Handlon profile image91
      Denise Handlonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I can understand your 'question'.  But, having been born and raised in Michigan and knowing it has been hit so hard from the economy, I was grateful that the bail out occurred.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

not in the least. we did the same thing in Canada and it was wrong. if they wouldn't have gotten the money, they would have still stayed in business but they would also have had to learn how to do things right. now when they start to fail again, they will expect more bail-outs. the unions for them are ridiculous, the execs are way over paid and the workers on average are lazy. i worked for GM in Oshawa , Ontario for 4 months in the 90's but i quit because i couldn't handle seeing how the union was running the place. it was honestly the biggest joke for "hard work" i'd ever seen.

5. Pintoman profile image59
    Pintomanposted 5 years ago

Ford did not take bailout money and is doing the best. Chrysler was hardly bailed out, they are now owned by Fiat. Fiat! For crying outloud! The government should only be in the business of protecting our rights, building roads and delivering the mail, so was the opinion of the founders. Let competition weed out the losers. Taxpayers shouldn't have to bailout the losers. Would you even want the government to bail you out? What an insult.

working