jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can I obtain a degree in the Automotive industry as a convicted felon?

1. MrBrown778 profile image58
    MrBrown778posted 5 years ago

Can I obtain a degree in the Automotive industry as a convicted felon?

I was just released July 24, 2012 for armed robbery. I served a 2 year and 3 month sentence. This was my first time being in trouble with the law but that's all it take. I have been excessively working trying to find a job and further my education. Everyday up and out looking on the computer looking, and calling contacts. If you may can you give me some helpful advice that might solve my dilemma.

2. profile image0
    jlcustompcposted 5 years ago

Felon's will encounter far more difficulties in college that others. Drug convictions and Sex offenders especially. Drug convictions will limit your ability to get financial student aid and sex crimes will limit what kinds of schools you can go to or if you can go at all.

But yes it is possible and a lot of felon's have doctorates and masters degree.

3. ShootersCenter profile image72
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

Most car dealerships have schooling for their automotive tech's, find one that will let you work from the bottom up.

4. miakouna profile image77
    miakounaposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the question and I will try to do my best with answering it....From my own knowledge for college admission, I don't know of any school that would prevent you from getting an education.  As for getting scholarships and funding...I think pell grants and financial aid are possible. This one, I am not completely sure about. I think a little research is needed to see which are available to you.

This is a website that I found that might help a little. It explains a lot more about receiving scholarships with a felony charge: 

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/t … ege-future

Don't give up. It seems like you want to put the past behind you. I think it is great that you want to continue your education and move foward.  Just remember...the past does not have to define who you are or who you will become. It is just a reminder of the road that you traveled to make it to this point in your life. It seems as if you are in the right direction and I wish you all the best in succeeding.

5. MikeNV profile image79
    MikeNVposted 5 years ago

1 in 3 people under the age of 25 has been arrested.  That's what I read anyways.  So I sure hope that there is a future job just because they make a mistake when they are young.  I realize they are not all felonies, but what kind of message are we sending as a society if there are no jobs available to people who make a mistake (even a big one) when they are young?

Jobs that require handling money, government licensing, gun permits (Obviously) are surly not going to happen.  But I can't see why anyone would be denied an automotive career.

There are actually a lot of articles online about what type of jobs are available.  I just did a quick search and nearly all of them reference automotive careers.