Do nitrogen-filled tires improve gas mileage?

1. arizonataylor profile image83
    arizonataylorposted 5 years ago

Do nitrogen-filled tires improve gas mileage?

A local tire shop is filling tires with nitrogen for seven dollars a tire.  Will I ever save enough gas to make this worth my while, or is this just a gimmick?

2. profile image55
    edsciposted 5 years ago

If I am not mistaken, it is indeed a gimmick.  As long as you maintain optimum tire pressure using standard air, it should not make a difference. 

The real enemy is critically low tire pressure--not only will it shorten your tires' life spans, but it decreases the efficiency with which your car rolls forward.  This means that your engine would have to run harder to carry you at a similar speed, consuming more fuel in the process.

3. MikeNV profile image80
    MikeNVposted 5 years ago

Nitrogen is NOT a gimmick.  Nitrogen molecules are a different size from regular oxygen/nitrogen from an air compressor so they do not leak as fast.  That is the sole benefit.  By not leaking your tires stay properly inflated, thus you get the benefits of driving on properly inflated tires.

It is a no cost add on at Costco as they use it with all their tires.  So if it comes with it then go for it, if not then I would pass.

Supposedly you'll also get less moisture in the tire as well  Remember the regular air we breath is comprised mostly of nitrogen... roughly 78%

You have to check your air pressure a little less frequently if you run nitrogen.  But most new cars have monitors that tell you if your tires are low on air and if they don't you should be checking about once a month anyways.

working