jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does the colour of your car make any difference?

1. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 4 years ago

Does the colour of your car make any difference?

If you can chose any colour for your auto what would it be and do you think it really matters!
    Here in the UK (maybe you tell I was from the UK by the way I spell colour) insurance companies compile statistics including the colour of vehicles involved in accidents

2. sparkleyfinger profile image93
    sparkleyfingerposted 4 years ago

I want a pink car! I'm in the UK too, and recolouring your car counts as a bodywork modification! You can have your insurance voided if you don't disclose it... Think it's all to do with how much attention the colour brings to the car?

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I've never heard of insurance rates being higher in the US simply based on the color of a car, but I have seen some statistics that said people who own bright colored cars (red and yellow being the top two) are more likely to be in accidents. You'd think the bright colors would make them more visible and prevent accidents. What they say is the color often reflects the person's attitude and such and people who trend toward the bright colors are more daring and outgoing so more apt to drive more dangerously. Can't prove that by me because I love red cars and have owned two, but I drive safely and have very low insurance rates (no accidents).

4. Lisa HW profile image74
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

One difference can be how visible the car is in some weather situations - like rain or fog.  Another difference can be whether the color is likely to make you more likely to be stopped for traffic violations.  Some colors can suggest you're "young and foolish" more than others.  Some colors of certain year cars of the same model have also been known to "run into issues" more than others.  There was a white used on Chevrolet's Luminas in the 90's, and that model and color are known for the paint "falling off" and rusting badly; while other-color Luminas didn't seem to have the same notorious paint-problem.  So, if someone is looking for a used car - most likely not a Lumina at this late date - it may be worth checking out whether the make/model have any particular, known, paint issues.

All I've ever considered is whether it's a color I like; or, in the case of a used car, can live without without cringing every time I look at it.

5. lupine profile image72
    lupineposted 4 years ago

I have also heard that red colored cars are involved in more accidents, and black cars are hard to see, especially at dusk or night. It seems there are many more white colored cars in the last few years...not sure why...maybe more visible and less accidents, I think they cost less too, not sure. I don't particularly like white colored cars, too plain...don't care for bright colors, too flashy, black colored cars are harder to keep clean, they show the dirt, lint, and scratches too much. My choice of color would be a nice silver with small shimmery metal flakes...had this color before, easy to keep clean.

working