jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Should I trade my car in?

1. davidlivermore profile image98
    davidlivermoreposted 3 years ago

Should I trade my car in?

This July I would have owned my Mini Cooper for four years.  It will be out of warranty and I've had constant issues with it.  The closest dearlership is about an hour or so drive from my city.  Local places are unable to do a good enough of a repair job so I have no choice but to take it out of town.  It's paid off, but I am very worried about paying a lot to get it repaired, to transport it, etc.  I already have a new car in mind that I want.  The trade-in for my Mini will cover most of the cost.  Think I should trade it in?  Or run it into the ground?

2. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 3 years ago

trade it ... the dealership and repair issues seem like a hassle... its time for a change.

3. autodude profile image61
    autodudeposted 3 years ago

Don't run it to the ground. lol After, a Major Tuneup Transmission fluid,oil and antifreeze change New tires and a brake inspection you should be good for another 3 years! (with no car payments)

1. arksys profile image92
      arksysposted 3 years agoin reply to this

true ... but maintaining a mini is quite costly ... right?

4. Jay Crihfield profile image71
    Jay Crihfieldposted 3 years ago

Here's one way to look at it...repairs/maintenance are part of owning any car, especially one that's a bit older.....but if you take the total cost for a year of any repairs above and beyond "normal" maintenance like oil changes, tires, brakes, etc. then divide that number by 12, is it more or less than what a new car payment would be?  The longer you can drive that Mini with that repair number being less than a new car note payment....you're ahead of the game.

that's a good way to look at it. smile

5. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

Sometimes, you just get a vehicle that isn't worth the trouble, and it sounds like that's the case for you. Trade it in, and make it someone else's problem. Next time, choose a car from a dealership closer to you.

I say this as someone who is currently driving a 1999 Ford Ranger, which I bought when it was brand new. Sometimes, you get a winner, which runs reliably, and doesn't cost much in repairs and maintenance. That's the vehicle you want to drive until it falls apart in the middle of the road!

true... i got a brand new Diahatsu from a local toyota dealer here... its small but i never had a single problem with it for the first 7-8 years. Now its about 14 years old and i can still touch the 140km/h mark easily. very little maintenance reqd.

2. davidlivermore profile image98
      davidlivermoreposted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is what I did.  I traded it in and have a better car.  Thank you for the response.

6. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

you should, when my 8 year old car keeps getting problems, i tried to repair, one after another problem, not worth it.

7. ijdmtoy profile image44
    ijdmtoyposted 2 years ago

Sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and get a new car. A car with a slew of problems is really not worth the time or money.

working