Which is most dangerous, night driving or drink-driving?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Phemephe profile image67
    Phemepheposted 13 years ago

Research lately is claiming that night driving might be as worst as drunk driving. Do you believe this? what are your opinions?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What kind of research did that come from? the pro-drink driving brigade?
      I was a night-shift taxi driver for many years, and there is no comparison. Night shift workers need to have perfect vision and are used to working in low or artificial light conditions.
      Drunk-drivers, on the other, may be able to see perfectly well but have slowed reactions thanks to the alcohol.
      It has been proved time and time again, that drink-drivers (as opposed to drunk drivers) are dangerous on the roads because of just this delayed reaction time.
      Part of the test that you have to sit to obtain a driving licence involves the emergency stop.
      You must have quick enough reactions (is 'reaction' the word I am looking for?) to hit the brakes to avoid collision/accident/whatever. Someone who has been drinking has slowed reactions - that is what makes him dangerous. Not his ability to drive within a white line or whatever.

2. 6 String Veteran profile image67
      6 String Veteranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"pro-drink driving brigade...LOL

Night driving is not for everyone. But drunk driving is for NO ONE. What research are you referring to btw?

Plus, some folks have to drive at night depending on their responsibilities (PM work or kid's sports, etc.) so there is no way to curtail that without radically altering society.

But, do folks have to drink and drive? So one is partially mandatory while the other is a non-requisite and just plain stupid.

3. Lady Luv profile image62
      Lady Luvposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seriously, cite your sources, would you? Studies show 9 out of 10 people in your comments section think you are full of crap, and just blatantly posted this for a stat boost.

1. LeonJane profile image73
        LeonJaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

75% of statistics are made up on the spot!

4. profile image50
      DreamCarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well the most dangerous is texting behind the wheels. The risk is 4 times higher than drunken drive. This is because your concentration on the road is diverted and thus increasing the risk of accident. So people should stop texting behind the wheels.

2. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Seriously?
    Can you provide a link to that research?
    Night driving is more difficult for many drivers (myself included). But some people have no problem seeing well at night.
    But compared to drunk driving?
    I can't imagine that would be the case.

However, if it IS the case, then the government is going to have to figure out a way to arrest people for "DUD" (driving under dark). Sounds like it could be quite a lucrative cottage industry, as DUI arrests are for them....

3. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

If you are drunk, - driving in bed is your only option and priority. big_smile

4. keeganhmorgan profile image59
    keeganhmorganposted 13 years ago

"Research lately is claiming that night driving might be as worst as drunk driving."

First of all its not "as worst as" it would be something more like "as dangerous as". And who ever you got this information from needs to be shut up, people drive at night all the time and get home safe. I think what you may be referring to is that driving while tired is as dangerous as driving drunk and that is close to being true. I would say you should not drive while drunk/drinking or while tired.

5. I am DB Cooper profile image62
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I could believe that. They've also said that driving while tired is just as dangerous as drunk driving. The big problem is that most drunk drivers are also driving at night and they are usually tired after a night of drinking. It's that triple combo that really scares me.

6. DarkSinistar profile image86
    DarkSinistarposted 13 years ago

Researchers have found that night driving for prolonged periods without a break will produce the same effects as consuming alcohol, but clearly drunk driving is the bigger danger. The affect of night driving depends in large part on how rested the driver is because the problem is driving at night is more tiring and if the driver starts out tired then he can become less responsive very quickly. It is something everyone should be aware of so adjustments (i.e. more frequent rest stops, do not drive when tired. etc.) can be made.

7. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

Depends on how well u can see...lol

8. Purple Perl profile image48
    Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

Depends on who is at the wheel!

9. superwags profile image66
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

It depends on where you're driving. Driving in Eastern Libya at night is more dangerous than driving in rural Scotland drunk. I'd have thought. I'm off to commission a study....

10. wormdo profile image60
    wormdoposted 13 years ago

Nobody in my family has ever been killed by someone driving at night.

11. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

A driver who falls asleep behind the wheel is easily as dangerous as a drunk, maybe more so.

1. LeonJane profile image73
      LeonJaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

drink driving at night is worse

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)