jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

A Question for the Mechanically-Talented.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image82
    AshtonFireflyposted 6 years ago

I don't know anything about cars. I have a question.

My 2000 Dodge Intrepid (Little Dipper) got hit by a deer the other week, causing the headlight cover to be busted and the radiator was kinda smashed up against the engine a bit so that the radiator hose ended up getting sliced by the air compressor thing. (Long story about turning on the air conditioner, getting stranded in Kentucky, and having my car shooting out a geyser of water/antifreeze 500 miles from home.)

I was wondering, is it bad to drive the car for an extended period of time with the car's headlight broken that way, as long as the bulb isn't damaged? And is it okay to keep driving the car while the radiator is kinda be shifted in that way, as long as I don't run the air compressor and therefore slit the radiator hose again? I'm going to get it fixed eventually but I just don't know if it's imperative to get it done Right now. The mechanics guy who fixed my car didn't tell me that and I forgot to ask.

Anybody know?

1. mobias profile image74
      mobiasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi there AshtonFirefly- I would definately call around, ask friends/family of a local mechanic they have had good luck with and/or trust, whom is reasonable with rates etc. and get it fixed. The light itself isn't a big deal, but if it's pointing in some odd direction it probably will get the attention of a policemen at night, [fix-it ticket] but the radiator definitatly needs to be fixed asap, if that mechanic [i'm assuming didn't really fix it if he didn't set the radiator straight] didn't look well enough, he could have also missed a fluid leak, and then you would be stranded with an overheated, smoking engine! It may not cost that much to simply re-alignt the radiator etc, assuming the part itself is ok, and not damaged... Also, more than likely, you will no doubt hit the 'defrost' function, and accidentally get that A/C unit going...messing you up again...it happens, trust me!

AshtonFireflyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Alrighty, thanks for the info! smile

1. mobias profile image74
          mobiasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

no problem, you are welcome ma'am!  smile

2. calpol25 profile image71
          calpol25posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ashton plz dont kill me but hub is done smile lol

AshtonFireflyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

OMG hahaha I'm so excited! Going to read it now! big_smile