jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Latest and greatest?

1. profile image66
    logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago

The US Senate just passed a bill requiring automakers to put a "black box" in each vehicle produced starting in 2015.  While they are supposed to be the property of the owner, the government will be able to have access  to them.
    Can anyone say "Big Brother"?

1. habee profile image95
      habeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I can! I can say, "big brother"! Pick me! Pick me! See? My hand is up!

2. paradigmsearch profile image93
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

This is not good. George Orwell was right.

3. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 5 years ago

uh yeah like a total freakin opposite of the united states constitution of america - it will prob never happen

4. starme77 profile image76

I believe that would fall under the rights of the people and unreasonable search and sezure

5. starme77 profile image76

I believe that would fall under the rights of the people and unreasonable search and sezure

1. profile image66
      logic,commonsenseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

But they will get around it by saying it is for your own good, just like dozens of other violations of our rights and liberties.

1. starme77 profile image76
        starme77posted 5 years agoin reply to this

thats another good reason why people should stand up for themselves ... seriously the United 'States is only gona get worse if people keep lettin this kinda crap happen

1. profile image66
          logic,commonsenseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Exactly right!

6. Auto Faction profile image80
    Auto Factionposted 5 years ago

That's such a waste of time and money. It'll take a week for somebody to release either an ECU reflash or hardware mod to bypass the box. I wonder what the purpose of the "black box" is?

7. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I think what the box is for should be spelled out before we all condemn it.

The device with this name in airplanes has saved thousands of lives by showing what caused fatal crashes and forcing changes in design.

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

News stories say the box belongs to the car owner and mandating its inclusion in cars was provoked by the people killed by out of control Toyotas (but Toyota never being found culpable due to lack of evidence).  That is, the owner or their heirs could choose to use the data to show death or injury was caused by a defect in the car not driver error.

I am not very outraged by this.

9. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 5 years ago

Hi Logic,
    For too long the car industry has been unregualated.I am a mechanic and I served my apprenticeship, passed my exams and this is my skilled trade. Anyone can lift a wrench and work on a car and in my opinion this devalues my skill and knowledge. I can understand those who would feel that this is an invasion of privacy but too many lives are lost worldwide unnecessarily and if this "Black Box" could provide data to reduce this situation, surely that is to everyones benefit. I personally can't see a problem with this,
    MJ.

10. profile image66
    logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago

MJ,the black box and any other device that is intended to monitor me devalues my intelligence and my ability to think for myself and make my own choices.
    Good luck with your career, good mechanics are a true prize and asset to consumers!

working