Chicago City Review: Business and Jobs
Dancing With Chicago
The largest growing single occupation for the decade 2010 - 2020 in Chicago, as projected by the Federal and State Departments of Labor, was Choreographer.
The job title did not supply jobs to as many workers as were projected, but some jobs were available through each year from 2004 - 2014. These jobs began to expand somewhat from 2015 - 2020, after recovery from the Great Recession allowed people to enjoy more entertainment events because of gains in disposable income.
Some of the major choreographers, dance schools, and dance companies of Chicago are in the following list:
- Chicago DANCE CRASH
- Chicago Multi-Cultural Dance School and Bryant Ballet
- Chicago Swing Dance Society - Meets st the University of Chicago
- Ethnic Dance Chicago - (847)-846-8139
- Folk Dance Council of Chicago - St. Charles, Illinois. (630)-9232-9089
- Fosse, Bob - Choreographer's Biography
- Giordano Jazz Dance - 1509 S. Michigan Avenue, 2nd Floor, Chicago, IL 60605
- See Chicago Dance - Urban
- Thodos Dance Chicago - (312) 266-6255
Besides dance and choreography jobs, Chicago has seen growth in a number of other job titles.
Such growing occupations have been consistently represented in the Healthcare Industry.
High demand jobs include those in Travel Nursing and Travel Physicians; Information Technology (IT) for a variety of industries, Construction Trades, and various other Technologies, Education, and Forensics (for instance, Accounting and Web Security). Aerospace and Biomedicine are merging as new leaders.
Highest Demand Jobs in Chicago Long Term
- Computer Engineers and Software Developers for Applications and Systems Software
- Database Administrators
- Network & Computer System Administrators
- IT Security Analysts
- Mathematical Scientists
- Architects, Surveyors & Cartographers
- Engineers: Aerospace, Agricultural, Biomedical, Chemical, Electrical, Nuclear, and several others. Engineers
- Engineering Technicians and Drafters
- Animal Scientists
- Food Scientists & Technologists
- Soil & Plant Scientists
- Biochemists & Biophysicists
- Zoologists & Wildlife Biologists
- Conservation Scientists
Industries and Jobs Expanding Through 2025
- Roehl Transport, Rushmore Transportation, Transport America - Truck driving positions are increasing faster than most other jobs in America. Chicago is a transportation, freight and airline hub in the Midwest and offers related jobs in growing numbers.
- Ageatia Technology Consultancy Services - Engineers, technicians, and management consultants.
- University of Chicago, University of Illinois, UC School of Medicine, Northwestern University, and others - Research and faculty positions, interns, externs.
- Care.com - Major healthcare occupations, including dental positions.
- Toys "R" Us - Assemblers, sales positions.
- Universal Health Services - RN Nurses and support staff.
- Home Depot, Family Dollar, The Gap, CVS, Target, Whole Foods - Sales and cashier positions.
Chicago and Cook County
- Accommodation and Food Services
- Ambulatory Health Care Services
- Food Services and Drinking Places
- Specialty Trade Contractors
- Management, Scientific & Technology Services
- Other Services
- Personal & Other Services
- Financial Activities
- Nursing and Residential Care Facilities
Fastest Growing Industries
- Professional/Business Services
- Educational and Health Services
- Health Care & Social Assistants
- Administrative & Support and Waste Management Services
- Professional, Scientific & Tech. Services
- Employment Services
- Educational Services
- Leisure and Hospitality
- Elementary/Secondary Schools
- Trade, Transportation, Utilities
Companies That Need Workers
- Chicago Public Schools: Teaching, administrative, other staff
- Mariano's Fresh Market
- Northwestern University
- McDonalds, Starbucks, and other food chains
- R.E. Garrison - CDL-licensed Truck Drivers
- PetSmart, Target, and other retail stores
- Advocate Health Care
- CVS Health & Pharmacy and Walgreens Drug Stores
- The Home Depot
Many of the companies that make up the list of Largest Employers in the entire State of Illinois are located in the Chcago Area, including the following Top 15.
- Abbott Laboratories
- University Of Illinois
- Us Post Office
- University Of Chicago
- Johnston R Bowman Health Center
- John H Stroger Jr. (New) Cook County Hospital
- Northern Trust Bank FSB
- CNA Financial Corp
- CNA Insurance
- Exelon Corp
- Raymond James & Assoc Inc.
- UIC Hospital
- University Of Chicago Medical
- University Of Illinois Med Center
- Forensics - Careers in Criminology
Chicago is famous for its work in criminology. Jobs and careers in America in forensics related professions, with schools and additional information. History of Criminology and its founders.
- Travel Nursing
This article provides the steps in becoming a Travel Medical Professional and lists the numerous benefits.
- Barack Obama Presidential Library: Jackson Park, Chicago, Illinois.
- Chinese-American Museum of Chicago and the Chinatown Museum Foundation: Raymond B. & Jean T. Lee Center: 238 West 23rd Street; Chicago, Illinois 60616; Telephone: (312) 949-1000; www.ccamuseum.org/
Chinatown In Chicago, Founded 1912
- Chicago's famous Ukrainian National Museum
This is my favorite place to visit in Chicago, with its hundreds of antique Ukrainian Eater Eggs, historic clothing and musical instruments, and other exhibits.
- Chicago business & financial news & analysis - Crain's Chicago Business
Information and News about Chicago business and employment.
Ukrainian National Museum of Chicago
Frank Lloyd Wright in Chicago
- Frank Lloyd Wright Landmarks in Chicago -- These signature homes built by the Frank Lloyd Wright in Chicago are some of my favorite laces to visit in and around the city. The South Side seems to enjoy a large number of them among their museums and other tourist projects. There is a directory, a number of museum photos, and map available at local museums like the Beverly Museum. Illinois is home to the largest group of Wright buildings in the nation. Twenty-five were built between 1889 and 1913 alone.
Major Education Facilities
Well known institutions of higher education in Chicago induce the following vocational schools, community colleges and universities:
- CCPA - Chicago College of Performing Arts
- Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
- City Colleges of Chicago
- Columbia College - Chicago
- Harold Washington College - Chicago
- Kennedy-King College
- Loyola University Chicago
- Malcolm X College of Chicago
- Moody Bible Institute
- Northwestern University
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC)
- Chicago Chamber of Commerce
- Crane's Business News
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS