- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches»
- Local Job Searches
Boston, Massachusetts - Work, Leisure and Olympic Games
Boston is as old as the Original Thirteen Colonies and the United States, settled by the English and named after Boston, UK. Native Americans of the Eastern Woodlands groups were already thriving in the area, and the Europeans flowed in as well, some making friends and some making enemies among our Indigenous People. Today, Boston may be best known as the hometown of James Spader, who plays Raymond "Red" Reddington on the hit TV series The Blacklist.
Instrumental in the American Revolutionary War, the City of Boston is full of modern opportunities in the worlds of work, education, culture, and sports. I am hearing Boston called the "Athens of America" in their bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Unfortunately, the people of the city protested the bid ob the grounds that it would cost the city and the taxpayers too much money and leave useless buildings and outdoor venues behind.
Boston Competes for 2024 Olympic Games
On Monday March 30, 2015 President Barack Obama and the First Lady presided over the opening of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate. It is a high tech full-scale model of the Senate at the University of Massachusetts at Boston and provides iPads and over 50 apps to ease visitors' understanding of the US Senate and its work. Actual Senate sessions can be simulated as well.
Almost Everything Happens in Boston
The city witnessed a Senior Citizens' Strike against Boston Hospital in the very early 20th century to protest high costs and it worked. I know these because two of my medical/health promotion professors were there to witness it themselves. As a young couple during that year, they sided with the seniors. Prices for healthcare at the hospital lowered in response to the large number of senior citizens protesting, "sitting in", and being very vocal about the problem.
Boston Harbor was the site of the 18th century Boston Tea Party that protested high taxes and helped start the American Revolution. In the 21st century, a bombing at the Boston Marathon expressed the protests of terrorists against the city and our country. The survival stories from that event are inspirational.
Also in the 21st Century, recent college graduates can find many career opportunities in the Greater Boston Area and Travel Nursing is one of those lucrative occupations. Boston takes education and employment training seriously, as it does its sports, arts, and culture.
The city witnessed a Senior Citizens' Strike against Boston Hospital in the very early 20th century to protest high costs and it worked.
Unusual Attractions You Might Enjoy
- A Healing Garden at the Jean Yawkey Center - Eighth Floor, for patients, families, and anyone. Located at Emmanuel College, 400 The Fenway, Boston.
- Boston Tall Ships, Liberty Fest - First week of July at Boston Harbor. See the USS Constitution as well in Boston Harbor on the Freedom Trail.
- Boston Freedom Trail. Several themed tours, all reasonably priced. www.thefreedomtrail.org/index.html
- Sam Adams Brewery Tour and Tasting - $2.00 donation suggested and given to local charities. 30 Germania Street, Boston.
- International Film Festival - Last week of April. Top stars of these films come to visit, just like Toronto. http://iffboston.org/
- Fenway Park Tour - From April Fool's Day to the end of the season.
- Boston University Observatory nights open to everyone - every Wednesday, weather permitting, at 7:30 pm or 8:30 pm, cool and warm seasons, respectively. http://twitter.com/buobservatory
USS Constitution, Last Sop on the Boston Freedom Trail
Education and Work
With several major universities available, the city has reached out from them to at-risk youth and to adults that are underemployed, unemployed, or looking to change careers.
Much of the new work opportunity is coming out of Harvard since the late 1990s through 2015 and is opening up increasing numbers of jobs in careers for high school youth, young adults, the middle-agers, and senior citizens in designated training programs under the federal Workforce Investment Act (WIA).
Harvard University began to more fully apply the Theory of Multiple Intelligences established by Howard Gardner to the world of work in the late 1990s.
Their findings are that people usually do have a "work personality" and a job or two that they are best suited to work and in which they will excel almost naturally. I applied this theory in the early 1990s with marked success, doubling the number of GED certificates earned through our school in Ohio for several years. The same style of success is being seen in Boston.
Much of the new work opportunity is coming out of Harvard, some of it as a result of work with Multiple Intelligences Theory. Findings are that people usually do have a "work personality" and a job or two that they are best suited to work.
Greater Boston Area
Spring 2015 saw over 55,400 consistent job openings within 25 miles of city center.
Top 10 High Demand Boston Jobs
Recent college graduates are likely to find expanding opportunities in and around Boston. Local and national HR recruiters are visiting areas campuses in increasing numbers to harvest these graduates for long-term employment into well paying careers.
In addition, Massachusetts provides half of all New England jobs, which totals over 6 million for that region of the US, according to the US Department of Labor.
Green Industries are expanding in Boston, hiring youth in summer employment and training programs and employing adults year around.
Recent salary surveys of the National Association of Colleges and Employers show that the average starting wages in the Top 10 Industries in Boston that are hiring new college graduates are the following (largest sources of jobs in BOLD print):
- Accounting Services $42,000
- Engineering Services $45,000 - Especially IT jobs.
- Educational Services $20,000
- Retail and Wholesale Commerce $33,500+
- Building, Developing, and General Contracting $40,000
- Consulting Services $44,000
- Financial Services $40,000
- Food, Beverage, & Tobacco $45,000
- Government (State, County and City) $34,000
- Government (Federal) $40,000
Unexpectedly, the Trucking Industry surged with almost a million new jobs in 2014 - 2015 in response to new manufacturing and the need for transporting larger amounts of US oil and Canadian tar sands without the Keystone Xl Pipeline, which was vetoed by President Barack Obama. At the same time, America showed a lack of adequate storage space for additional oil production n early 2015.
Green Jobs in Boston
Specific Jobs Most Often Advertised
Career for US Veterans - UABoston.org
Healthcare provides neatly 14 million jobs in and around Boston and half of the fastest 20 fast growing occupations. The largest numbers of Healthcare Job Listings are in the following large groups of professionals:
- Home Health Care Aide
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Register Nurses (RN)
- Health Care Administrators and Managers
- Medical Secretaries
- Medical Techs
- Physical Therapists
Massachusetts General Hospital is the largest employer in the State of Massachusetts. Travel Nursing opportunities are good in Boston as well. If you should want to move to Boston here's How to Ask for a Job Transfer.
Medical and Healthcare Jobs at 50 Hospitals
- Boston area hospitals
Hospitals and Healthcare Organizations - a list of over 50 that provide healthcare jobs.
Back Bay BostonClick thumbnail to view full-size
Sports Opportunities in Boston
Boston Area Colleges and Universities
Boston offers many of the highest quality educational facilities in the nation and North America:
- Bay State College
- Berklee College of Music
- The Boston Architectural Center
- Boston College
- Boston Conservatory
- Boston University
- Bunker Hill Community College
- Cambridge College
- Emerson College
- Emmanuel College
- Fisher College
- Franklin Institute of Boston
- Harvard University
- Katherine Gibbs School
- Lesley University
- Longy School of Music
- Massachusetts College of Art
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
- MIT - The renowned Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- New England College of Optometry
- New England Conservatory
- New England School of Law
- Northeastern University
- Roxbury Community College
- Saint John's Seminary
- School of The Museum of Fine Arts
- Simmons College
- Suffolk University
- Tufts University
- Urban College of Boston
- UMass Boston
- Wentworth Institute of Technology
- Wheelock College
© 2008 Patty Inglish