jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Currently, which one do you believe is valued more? A Master's degree, or work e

1. Sylud1120 profile image61
    Sylud1120posted 8 years ago

Currently, which one do you believe is valued more? A Master's degree, or work experience?

2. Nikita90 profile image26
    Nikita90posted 8 years ago

I think it depends on the profession. For example, engineers, architects, accountants, etc. will probably do better with a Master's degree. A Masters in English, on the other hand, is generally not as valuable as work experience unless you're going for a Ph.D. and want to teach English. Though employers like fancy degrees, they like practical experience more.

3. profile image0
    Lauren_Hagerposted 8 years ago

I think that experience really gives you an edge over just having a Master's.  Even if you received all A's in your graduate degree program, it does not necessarily mean that you are good at implementing strategies and being a leader.  I think that experience is important and can really show through a portfolio and good references.

4. ashleysays profile image62
    ashleysaysposted 8 years ago

For some jobs a master's is absolutely required, like architecture for instance.  For other fields, a master's will not provide you withany edge unless you plan to remain in academia.  My advice is to research your field and figure out what people have done.

5. wannabwestern profile image92
    wannabwesternposted 7 years ago

Sometimes without the Master's degree it is impossible to get a job interview. Having great experience won't help if you can't get in for that first interview. This is especially true for government jobs where many people are competing for the positions.

My understanding, though, is the further you have progressed into your career, the less the degree matters. But in certain fields, not possessing a degree can inhibit progress.

6. CJMcAllister profile image86
    CJMcAllisterposted 3 years ago

It is well known that people with an advanced degree earn considerably more than those without one. Aside from the money, however, there are many reasons a Master's degree is a worthwhile investment. read more

working