How to find a job after graduating college

1. gamergirl profile image61
    gamergirlposted 8 years ago

How to find a job after graduating college

2. gramsmith profile image60
    gramsmithposted 8 years ago

The first thing that you need to do is prepare yourself for finding a good job. If you haven't made your resume yet, you will definitely need to that first and post your resume in job portals.You will want to put down every organization that you were apart of such as a fraternity, a business club, or any other relevant information. This will help you a lot trust me. Make sure that you list your degree on there as well.You will want to make sure that you know where to search for job that is relevant to your skill and degree or not. This would be an appropriate time place your resume on sites like career builder,monster.com and nokari.com etc.......

3. coltrane36 profile image58
    coltrane36posted 8 years ago

First thing I'd recommend is to determine the scope of your job search. Answer questions like;

What industry am I looking for?
    Where would I be willing to work?
    What hours / shift patterns would I be willing to work?
    Etc...

Determining scope will help narrow down your search. It also narrows down your potential employers (considerably). For instance, if your willing to do any job, any where, any time your job market will consist of about a billion opportunities. However, if you'd only like to work in a specific industry in one country, one state, one city and only at times convenient to you, there may only one opportunity, or less!

Once you have your scope, work on marketing yourself. In your case this will be primarily through your resume. There are countless "How to write a good resume" free sites on the internet, so this step is relatively easy. Don't go overboard on your resume. If you've just graduated from college that fact alone tells potential employers "where your at". Highlight your degree, skills and attributes. Tell them who you are, don't embellish, definitely don't lie.

The other major form of marketing yourself is networking. As you a freshly out of college this may not be an effective tool for you. However, I'd recommend keeping in touch with classmates and friends from school. As they too enter the job market, they will become your initial professional network.

Remember though that your resume and networking are only means to an end. They are only for getting you in front of a decision maker. Once you have the opportunity to interview, you must understand that everyone goes in nervous and often times even the interviewer is nervous as well. Best advise I could give to someone about to do an interview.... Listen to what the interviewer is saying! Sounds simple but surprisingly many people go into an interview "over prepared" and just start rambling on about something they did five years ago that the interviewer doesn't care about.

Lastly, timing. Ok, you haven't picked the best time to enter the job market smile The upshot is that globally, employment rates are on the improve and economies are strengthening. This should in fact give you increased professional opportunities during the first five, or so, years of your career. Stay positive, work hard at it and find something that you'll enjoy.

working