jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

When Doing Market Research For Your Online Business....

1. waynet profile image46
    waynetposted 8 years ago

How do you obtain stats and other such things like market share and trends for article directory content...I am currently trying to do some research into this area and my head hurts trying to find a site that delivers quantitive and qualititive market research in this area....how do you find this stuff out? Anyone?

2. Christenstock profile image64
    Christenstockposted 8 years ago

That's a difficult question to respond to, even by summarizing it. It may vary by country. However, for example, if I wanted to determine market share for an industry or sector in the U.S. I would use the popularity of "number of establishments" and "sales, receipts, or revenue." There are also other ways to determine market share.

This will give you a general idea of what "product line code" (i.e. General Interest Articles, or, Business, professional, and academic articles, etc.) is the largest and brings in the most industry totals, per se.

So let's say you would like to write an article based on content and industry; ideally, using industry sums, use one of the largest statistics of revenue, or even ratio of establishments to revenue (e.g. "web search portals" establishments and revenue, which are 824 estab. to [1,202,880 by $1000] in revenue. All this you can find with the U.S. Census Bureau's Fact Finder. Hope this helps a bit.

3. waynet profile image46
    waynetposted 8 years ago

Thanks...I can see why some people hire out market research to agencies as there is a lot of information to find and what if you can't find any information what then?

At least I've set aside a couple of weeks to build up my research and my marketing plan, in fact I know all about marketing and what I intend to do there....it's just the market research.

1. Christenstock profile image64
      Christenstockposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Hey...no prob...there's a number of information sources out there, with respect to market research. I've learned that most statistics and figures from government agencies and various independent firms (endorsed by gov agencies) offer the most dependable, valid, and reliable data.

waynetposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I know, there are lots of sites out there with statistics and other data for market research purposes, it's just about getting stuck in and makin time for it all..which of course I am rich in time.....! Thanks again!

4. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 8 years ago

Waynet...

Don't! It is a lot of c**p, made up by people sitting at desks drinking coffee. The only reliable research in this respect is that which you conduct yourself. You have my word, my friend, that that is experience talking!

Thanks....Enjoy your beer then!!!hmm

5. profile image52
    kaleshwarposted 8 years ago

I haven't used these much, but being provided by google. I guess they should be ok.
    http://www.google.com/insights/search/#cmpt=q
    http://www.google.com/trends

Also keyword tools help

Cheers Kaleshwar, I'd almost forgotten about Google Insights as a market research tool, I've used trends and that came up with minimal results only hot trends...so thanks for the reminder !!!

2. Kmadhav profile image52
      Kmadhavposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I am also searching these kind of information..... thanks kamleshwar...

working