jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What is the most difficult thing about being a manager?

1. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 7 years ago

What is the most difficult thing about being a manager?

2. kimkay profile image78
    kimkayposted 7 years ago

In my experience, one of the most difficult things about being a manager is dealing with idiots. People who just seem hell bent on making your life difficult. As a manager, such people can cause you unbearable stress and significantly affect your life expectancy -  major hazard of being a manager.

3. Joe8943 profile image76
    Joe8943posted 7 years ago

I have to agree with kimkay but another one of the most difficult things is letting someone go especially when it's for economic reasons and has nothing to do with their performance

4. Tom T profile image71
    Tom Tposted 7 years ago

While the two other answers are good, I'd have to say that the most difficult thing about being a manager is managing instead of doing.  Often times it is the temptation of a manger to just bark out orders to people to get things done or do it themselves.  Neither of these is managing. 

A manager sets priorities and holds people accountable.  Sometimes that means dealing with 'idiots'  but those people tend to eliminate themselves from being part of the currently employed group.  The trick with management is to strike the right balance between being firm and holding people accountable and knowing when to pull back because hat is being asked is not possible or another course of action is required.  Having that high level view and keeping your eye on the end game helps put things in perspective.  A good manager can communicate that to those they are managing.

5. nlclark profile image61
    nlclarkposted 7 years ago

Reprimanding my employees.  I hate that part.  I think I'm too nice for that part, so I always try to do it nicely and hope they'll take me seriously.  On the other hand, if they don't take me seriously the first time, then I'm not so nice, so I guess it works out.

6. profile image0
    surlyoldcatposted 7 years ago

When you give clear and concise instructions that never waver on a nightly basis and people STILL do the wrong thing.

7. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

From complexity comes simplicity and I haven't a simple answer to that question. For me a good manager is someone who does the mechanics of administering the job tasks. Not all persons are good mananagers, yet they may be great leaders. Vice versa also occurs. I have learned in some work environments I am a terrible leader, but do a great job of managing. And, I am a great leader at times, but am terrible at managing the work environment. When I get the two together I presume I will get a promotion - (smile) , , ,

8. fflores041985 profile image56
    fflores041985posted 6 years ago

It's not easy being a manager and I think most of it is hard, at least at first. Once you get used to it more and more things seem simple. When it comes down to it, your attitude plays an important role in the level of difficulty in managing. Many things come into play, but if you stay positive and try your best you will get positive results thus making things easier for you to manage.

It also depends on what you are the manager of and how high your rank or position is. Take it from a past manager's point of view, stay positive and just do your job. You will find it's not as hard as you thought or was at first.

9. night-furry profile image59
    night-furryposted 6 years ago

I think, It's when you are tasked to manage but then you are not given the appropriate power to manage it properly. If you know what i mean. smile)

working