jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should Employers Have A Right To Use A Credit Report In Making A Decision To Hi

1. "Clouds Among Us" profile image68
    "Clouds Among Us"posted 7 years ago

Should Employers Have A Right To  Use A Credit Report In Making A Decision To Hire You?

It has been slow in coming to the forefront of the news, but lately these questions are now starting to be asked. Do you think they should have a right to use a credit report in determing whether to hire or not hire new employee's, especially with so many people out of work and losing their jobs. Is this the right thing to do?

2. justom profile image68
    justomposted 7 years ago

Absolutely not, the more employers that practice those kinds of things the more folks are given no choice but to be criminals, which is a hole other story. Desperate people do desperate things.

3. PaulaHenry1 profile image76
    PaulaHenry1posted 7 years ago

No, I personally think it is an unethical thing to do as a potential employer. I'm a nurse and they run a report on me! I told the HR person, my credit is horrible but it's not because I don't pay my bills, it's because I have no $ to pay them. May be if I got hired off my qualifications and not my credit score, I would.

And as for bad creidtors stealing $? The rich can steal from the poor all the same. I don't see any statistics stating that people that had bad credit dipped into the cash register compared to those with good credit. That involves who you are-as a person, not a score.

4. deefoster profile image61
    deefosterposted 7 years ago

It depends on the position and rightfully so.  For example the FDIC conducts a background and credit check before hiring new employees.

working