jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Does motivational speaking really help in the long run?

1. ladyjane1 profile image81
    ladyjane1posted 7 years ago

Does motivational speaking really help in the long run?

2. The Barbecuehut profile image61
    The Barbecuehutposted 7 years ago

It depends on the how motivating the speaker is. Some, to be honest are not motivitional at all and you can't wait until they finish.

My favourite is Jim Rohn. I never saw him live but I have a number of his recordings.  I never get bored of listening again and again and have changed my lifestyle in anumber of ways due to him.

3. bridanp profile image56
    bridanpposted 7 years ago

If the motivational speaker prompts you to take an action, then I think it does help in the long run.  The motivational speaker's job is to give the listener some ideas on the "how to" of whatever they are trying to motivate one to do, and then to activate the listener into action. 

A good speaker helps you to get going, and maybe prompts you along the way at different intervals (think preachers or debt free gurus).  In the end, it's up to the listener to create an action and stick with it.  But if successful, the listener should be able to look back and see where the motivation to start came from, and see that it helped.

4. Ruchira profile image77
    Ruchiraposted 7 years ago

Sure, it does. It not only helps the people who are listening but, indirectly helps the person who is speaking as well.

There could be many ways a speaker could try to motivate the public. The strategy I like is to give examples of our current living and giving the positive and the negative aspects to it. That makes the public ponder on the choices they want to make and help them get a glimpse of what could be their future.

5. profile image0
    andycoolposted 7 years ago

Of course it helps. One has to follow the speaker and believe him by heart. For the speaker to motivate he should be practical in the context he is speaking about. I've seen quite a few of them who try to motivate people by making them emotional, especially younger generation! These are mostly speakers from the political world who try to make sure that their popularity remains intact. For them it's ultimately their popularity that serves their purpose. The listener should try to judge the speaker's intention before involving in any serious act following the the speaker.

6. sriparna profile image81
    sriparnaposted 7 years ago

My favourite motivational speaker is Dr. Wayne Dyer. His books and lectures are amazing! He explains all the connections of our existence in a scientific way. You will understand which are the higher energy areas and how to boost them, whereas how to overpower the lower energy areas - it makes a big difference. After listening to him or reading his books you will start thinking in a different way, you will gain newer perspectives to all the things in life. It really works if you listen to a good motivational speaker!

working