jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Has listening to a motivational speaker ever worked for you and who was it?

1. Nettlemere profile image91
    Nettlemereposted 5 years ago

Has listening to a motivational speaker ever worked for you and who was it?

I'd be interested to know whether you heard the speaker at your workplace as part of staff development or if you chose to go and listen to them.

2. cluense profile image77
    cluenseposted 5 years ago

I first heard of Les Brown on a PBS special when I was 18 years old. Yes, listening to him helped me overcome a lot of baggage that could have hampered me in my adult years. I was so delighted to finally meet him at the age of 42 in 2008 at the Lake Lanier resort in Atlanta, GA. He sent me free tickets to meet him and I could not believe that he remembered taking with me and corresponded back with tickets to boot.

When I listen to a motivational speaker I am given a boost of energy that transcends into my everyday life. To hear how others have overcome insurmountable obstacles makes my problems look small and insignificant in comparison. It gives me the kick in the rear end that we all need on occasion.

Great Question!

3. Guy Foxe profile image61
    Guy Foxeposted 5 years ago

Not sure he counts as a motivational speaker, but the recently passed Stephen Covey.  The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People is really a solid book--very good for helping you prioritize what is important.

4. flashmakeit profile image71
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

I viewed a video on YouTube by Randy Pausch called achieving your childhood dreams which inspired students.  As he spoke he knew he only had about three to six months to live due to a cancer infection.  It was an excellent speech about Alice software and how it helped students learn complex program languages with this fun entertaining software.  It really motivated me because I thought he was so intelligent, brave and he never gave up!

5. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 5 years ago

To me, it is not listening to a motivational speaker that helps. Instead it is your own personal focus of doing things.

No matter what others may teach you but if you are still sitting on the fence, it will never work. But if you are a person who is focus, you do not need the listen to the motivational speaker as you would have already started doing what you should be doing already.

1. cluense profile image77
      cluenseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hey edhan,

Yes, I agree with you. However, life does get you down sometimes and it is great to listen to other people and how they overcame their obstacles. Wouldn't you agree?

working