jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How would you react if you thinkyour boss doesn't like you?

1. zamboy321 profile image79
    zamboy321posted 7 years ago

How would you react if you thinkyour boss doesn't like you?

2. Michael Durden profile image78
    Michael Durdenposted 7 years ago

I would try to figure out why he or she didn't like me, then try to avoid doing the things I think are setting them off. I would also try to just keep my head down, work hard, and accept that sometimes it takes people a while to come around to you.

Other times, personalities just clash. If it gets really bad, evaluate your options. If they are being truly unfair to you, or are doing anything inappropriate, you can report them to their superior.

Of course, if you do that, there could be further consequences.

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

I would try to find out why. People do not hate people for no reason. I would work hard at my job, but not go over my boss' head. I would not try to outshine my boss, but would instead let my successes filter through him/her. I would support my boss and listen to what he/she says. If I am doing all the right things, I would look around the office and see if there are any peers who might feel threatened by me and who might be talking to the boss about me. A sad reality about corporate America is that there are managers, but not many leaders. Most do not know what leadership really is. You can play ball or look for a better job. But battling your boss usually gets you nowhere. Your boss has every advantage, including access to all information that flows up or down.

4. craigb182 profile image59
    craigb182posted 7 years ago

It wouldn't bother me so long as it didn't affect working life. You don't have to get on with everyone in the workplace as long as you have mutual respect.

5. ExpandYourMind profile image74
    ExpandYourMindposted 7 years ago

First, make sure you are not over-reacting -- does she/he treat everyone the same.  Does he/she just have a dour personality.
    If not, try to ascertain the problem as others have stated. Is it a personality conflict, or they questioning your performance level, etc..   Ask for an informal evaluation meeting and inquire into your performance and ask if there is anything you can do to help with departmental goals.  After the meeting see if there appears to be a thawing of the ice.

If it doesn't appear you can reconcile the problem, keep your eyes open for another opportunity in another area and keep good records of any comments, written or verbal repriminds in case the situation escalates.

working