jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How does one start being a copywriter?

1. jobister profile image60
    jobisterposted 7 years ago

How does one start being a copywriter?

Just wondering how you started being a copywriter.

2. Powerful Pierre profile image78
    Powerful Pierreposted 7 years ago

I googled copywriter and found places where there would be  a chance of some work. Freelancer.com or ELance.com are 2 very good info sights which  you can join and bid on copywriting jobs for starters. There are others also but for me these 2 have been very beneficial. Good luck

3. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

There is no easy answer.  You should LOVE writing and be good at grammar.  You should gain experience in advertising to learn some tricks about selling ideas and products.

The rules are:  Sell the sizzle, not the steak.  If it bleeds it leads.

But you need to love writing and write anywhere you can to build up a resume of writing.  I'm assuming you want a job as a copywriter.

Most companies will only hire people who have studied journalism so, if you are looking for a job, start small.  Try to find anyone who will hire you... ANYONE.  Then keep your eyes open for better opportunities, and network.  Try to meet people who are in the business you want to write for.

Copy writing is an art form and you are up against a LOT of competition.  And the best usually win... or the most aggressive.  Just write a lot and let as many people know what you do as you can.  Constantly promote yourself.

Writing here is good exercise.  From what I've seen there is a lot of bad writing but one has to start somewhere.  Just write lots and read a lot of what you are interested in and try to copy the good styles you see.

And study your grammar.

4. Mighty Mom profile image85
    Mighty Momposted 7 years ago

Hello jobister. Sorry. I don't read my questions with any regularity!
    I got my start in copywriting working in advertising agencies.
    It's also a good idea to take some marketing classes so you understand how copy fits into the whole.
    Persuasive writing classes, advertising writing classes, etc. are also good training.
    Also be a student of the craft. By this I mean, mentally (or on paper) critique what you see on TV and read in magazines, newspapers and online. Somebody is writing all those headlines and copy!
    I personally "cross-trained" in Public Relations, which I think is a good way to go, since sooo much of the writing online is article writing.
    Good luck toyou and let me know if you have additional questions. MM

5. briancassingena profile image57
    briancassingenaposted 7 years ago

Top copywriter John Carlton says all copywriters go through a "shameless whore" stage where they'll take any project, write anything for anyone to get money, to get experience, to get good.

The way I got started is I contacted a business group and advertised that I was writing 5 sales letters for $1 as an intro offer. This got me repeat clients as well as good experience.

Just focus on getting started and doing something.