Do you do it for the money or because you love writing?

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (73 posts)
  1. aerospacefan profile image82
    aerospacefanposted 9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just a question that I am hoping some of you will answer. I have seen SO many excellent hubs here on HP and find myself asking the following question ... do these folks do it for the money or because they love to write?!!

I think I know the answer to this but want to ask anyway. Love reading so many rich and wonderful hubs. I am learning a lot.

Thanks!

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Writing is the only thing I have ever really wanted to do. Making a living from it makes me happy. I stopped working for "the boss" to do this full time from home, only because it's the only thing I have ever done to bring me complete satisfaction. For me writing is like turning your hobby into your career.

2. FitnezzJim profile image76
      FitnezzJimposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I write on Hub Pages solely because of the urge to write every now and then.  Four or five years ago, one of my favorite writers was writing here, Pete Maida. He usually writes science-fiction and childrens stories.  I had been following his science-fiction work since the 80’s.
      One day, he wrote an article that was relevant to current events of the time.  It was augmented by comments from readers.  The comments maintained a level of discussion and decorum not typically seen elsewhere.  The views and points were well-expressed, and were relayed (for the most part) in a non-confrontational manner.  It was the sort of dialog that typically is pre-requisite to coming up with a long term compromise to a problem, something our modern day politicians have forgotten.  I chose to write here because of that.
      I get no money at all from the writing, and have not even signed up for any of the mechanisms by which HubPages pays folks.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If anyone is on HubPages purely for the love of writing, then they are mad!   HubPages has a lot of rules around what can be written, and pressure (in the shape of QAP and Scores) to write in a certain way.  If your Hubs are not commercial enough, they can become unFeatured, i.e. virtually invisible. 

If you want to make money, that's good - because that framework is designed to improve the site's earnings. 

If you want freedom to write your way, it's not so good - and there are many more places where you are free to write whatever you like.  There are also many writers' sites which are designed for giving and receiving critiques and improving your writing.

4. Joy56 profile image66
      Joy56posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Because I like writing, and reading other peoples hubs

5. CatherineGiordano profile image77
      CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Money? What money? Do you mean you can earn money from this?

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Let's just say it's a good thing I enjoy writing, because the money has never been anything to shout about for me... I treat this site as a hobby, and any earnings I get from it are strictly gravy. If I were dependent on it I'd be living in a cardboard box down by the river!!

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy writing and the dividends are INCREASING slowly but surely.

7. Buildreps profile image85
      Buildrepsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

aerospacefan, I never did this for the money and still don't. Up to now I like Hubpages the most to write on, for it really gives wonderful tools for writing. I can sometimes complain about the swinging Hubber score and Hub score, because it seems to work irrational.
      The money is increasing slowly. This is the best kind of money I've ever earned - feels like gold in my hands!

8. MJPackaging profile image58
      MJPackagingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Both! We need money to survive! It's best to do what you have a passion for, but if you can make money from it at the same time...Kudos to you! I love the marijuana industry, and although Hubpages doesn't allow me to publish a lot of work on here due to the subject matter, I still love writing about it in my off time and I get paid for it.

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

Both smile I like earning money with my writing skills which is why I freelance for a living for clients and create hubs and my own sites/blogs for the residuals.  My hubs give me some extra money each month in residual income, so not only did I enjoy creating them - they keep on giving. bonus. smile

3. aerospacefan profile image82
    aerospacefanposted 9 years ago

Thanks, Christin! Makes a lot of sense!!

4. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 9 years ago

Both - The income provides a small incentive and justification.

aerospacefanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I love reading these. Thanks!

5. mdgardner profile image90
    mdgardnerposted 9 years ago

Both. I enjoy writing but the money is a nice incentive.

6. carloborrisoraliz profile image61
    carloborrisoralizposted 9 years ago

I would love to do it both.

7. SimilarSam profile image51
    SimilarSamposted 9 years ago

I've always used writing sites because I like to write and share my thoughts/opinions/knowledge with others. The money just makes for a nice bonus.

8. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

Mostly I write because I enjoy it, especially any research I do for an article.   Would love to do it for the money too, but only earn pennies so far.    :-(

9. Michael Kismet profile image91
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

It's definitely more personally gratifying when you're writing about a subject you're vested in and passionate about.  But I do have some monetary aspirations for my writing, although I feel so dirty when I'm writing an article purely for traffic and gain.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That makes no sense to me.  Why should you feel "dirty" using a skill to earn money?  I think this mindset is why so many people take advantage of writers on the net.  I'd feel dirty if I was the one trying to get writers to work for $5.00 per 1000 word article on a freelancing site, not because I write for money.  I've spent years developing skills as a writer, so I have not an ounce of guilt when I write pieces that are purely for profit, so long as they are still good works. Don't feel bad if you earn money from it, the key word here is "earn".  Others use their skills to make money all the time; real writing should be no different.

10. electronician profile image80
    electronicianposted 9 years ago

Both, but on Hubpages I write more for the money because I have another site which pays by the word as long as you get a certain quality score - so I find that is good for less commercial topics which I write just for the fun of it, whereas Hubpages works best if I treat it more like work and write about things I think people may be searching for online rather than things I just happen to feel like writing about.

11. savateuse profile image66
    savateuseposted 9 years ago

I've written on some topics to help me remember things that worked well e.g. recipes. I've written on some topics to promote them e.g. Savate and Canne. And, I wrote my photography and spreadsheet articles to help my students. I've never earnt a lot of money by writing, so it can't be the major motivation.

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Both, I need to earn a residual income but I also use it as a way to promote the hobbies I enjoy doing.

12. esmonaco profile image68
    esmonacoposted 9 years ago

When I started this a little over a year now I was interested in earning some extra money. As I continued I found that I really enjoy writing about the things that I know. So if I can earn a little money great, if not great..

13. Good Guy profile image83
    Good Guyposted 9 years ago

I write for both money and interest.  I can write elsewhere, but Hp is my site of choice because of its quality control, and fair financial reward.

I also write "nonsense" in Bubblews just for the money.  I don't think anyone really read them over there.  LOL!!

14. CassandraCae profile image84
    CassandraCaeposted 9 years ago

I don't love writing.   I am not a fan really as odd as that may sound.   I write on formats like these because I need practice and the money is an incentive to practice more.   I write grants,  research papers,  reports,  tutorials,  etc.  as part of my day job so I figured a hobby that would help improve those skills would be awesome. 

I really enjoy the vast wealth of knowledge we all share here and to share that we must write.  I guess I love all the benefits writing on a platform like this gives us but I really don't enjoy the act of writing itself.

15. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

I love to write but the incentive to join HP was to make side money. I really don't make enough yet to honestly say both are equal incentives. I haven't reached monthly payouts on a consistent basis so what I receive is more like icing on the cake for doing something I love doing. I'm also more driven to use my articles to promote my brand and my business which increases potential for more clients for my counseling practice. I don't write anywhere else but HP so money for writing is minimal compared to my practice.

16. Ann Hinds profile image68
    Ann Hindsposted 9 years ago

I have never really cared if I make money or not. I do it for fun. I am a good writer and enjoy the process. My real passion is family history and trying to find the pesky ancestors who elude me and I write about them on my blogs. I like being a part of a community of writers where I can learn more about the craft of writing.

17. R.S. Hutchinson profile image72
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 9 years ago

I write because if i don't i will grow mad with insanity. The voices, the stories, the laughter, the sadness that fills my every waking moment scratches at the back of my eyes yearning to be released. I cannot go without it, and i'd sooner try to live without oxygen than a day without writing.

18. CatherineGiordano profile image77
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

Jan, if you can't make money, I doubt I ever will.  I started hoping to make a little money, but all I make is pennies a day. Now I do it because I'm obsessed with it. It is such a thrill when it all comes together and I know I have done it well. I have so many idea for things to write about, it is hard to know where to start each day. As a psychologist you probably know about irregular reinforcement. It keeps me pecking (at my keyboard.

19. Cari Kay 11 profile image87
    Cari Kay 11posted 9 years ago

My intent is to help people.  I feel blessed that I have been able to do so.  In the process, I do make money but my focus really is in sharing my own personal experiences and just being there for people so they know they are not alone.

20. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I joined Hub Pages because I just needed somewhere to get my writing seen and practice my writing skills. It is a very helpful and supportive community and if I hadn't have joined HP the only things I wrote would be in my drawer at home for no one but my family to see. I honestly don't care about the money, and if I ever make any here it will just be a bonus. I now have a passion for writing and trying to make every hub better than the one before.

Thanks, Jodah! It seems a lot of people fee the way you do about this. If the money happens - it's a nice bi-product. I use HP for many of the same reasons you do by the way

21. goatfury profile image92
    goatfuryposted 9 years ago

I'm compelled to write, and I really love the format here.  I certainly don't make money hand over fist, but I'm tickled with the idea that I can share my thoughts here (in a fun format), get some great feedback, and maybe even make a few bucks, including possibly some residual income for years to come.

In short, I'd write regardless, but I write here because the interface is great, the people are cool, and I can be paid.

22. chateaudumer profile image82
    chateaudumerposted 9 years ago

I love to write. Earning money is a secondary reason

23. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 9 years ago

I write because I love writing, because I feel self-validation when lots of people read things I write, and (just as important) because I feel worthwhile if I'm being useful and/or entertaining to people.

So I will write and post articles online no matter what. However, my writing is also my work. I feel that if it's valuable to others, I deserve to be paid for that work. Also, my goal is to have my online articles earn enough to pay my bills while I'm engaged in creative writing. So I will try to monetize my writing as effectively as I can without annoying my readers. That includes posting my writing on sites where it's more likely to earn something.

24. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

aerospace fan,

My answer is a question. 
    Why not write for both?  I find myself writing because of something in me saying now or never.  I love it!  It would be great once I get writing on the internet figured out.  Then I can write for money on Hub pages. What I learn here I can take with me elsewhere.  So the shortened version for and answer to your question:  I do it for "have to because have too".  I must or I will explode. That would be a mess for my husband.  The other reason is perhaps in my old age to have validation by receiving funds.  Thanks for asking.  smile

I love this answer Firstday - I feel a release too when I write. Very cathartic!

25. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

I've been writing poetry, short stories and articles for decades as a sort of side interest. My main income source has been teaching but occasionally I got money for magazine articles and what have you. Writing is in my DNA somewhere, I'll never stop. The opportunity to get paid for something I never thought of as work is a fantastic bonus and HP as far as I can tell is one of the better quality online writing sites.
    The question I keep asking myself is - If I didn't earn money on HP would I still be writing? The answer as always is - Yes, absolutely I'd still be writing.

26. Zaxlon profile image71
    Zaxlonposted 9 years ago

I have stories that need to be told! Well, they don't need to be told, but I would like everyone to read them! I love the Marvel Universe more than life, and creating fan fiction stories that revolve around that universe is more than just a passion, it's a dream! If I happen to make some mula while I'm at it, then all the better. I mean, I'd be raking in green if I was writing for Marvel anyways (Where I eventually want to end up btw).

27. brutishspoon profile image66
    brutishspoonposted 9 years ago

I write to get things off my chest. I feel better after a good writing session, especially when I write about mental illness and depression. I find that the earnings side is not all that important and I think of it as a bonus.

28. Kathleen Odenthal profile image87
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

I love writing, but I also love making money. I wouldn't put in the level of effort I do here if I wasn't expecting a return.

29. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

I never do anything unless I get paid for it--except what I do with my husband, of course.

1. janshares profile image92
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lol, lol, lol!

30. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Jayne.....Girlfriend....we need to talk!  You're passing up the really big money!!$$$  LOL

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
      Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

31. taiwokareem profile image60
    taiwokareemposted 9 years ago

I do it for the love, I do have the money on my mind as well

32. TJHousel profile image88
    TJHouselposted 9 years ago

I love writing, so I made it my career. I began writing on Squidoo and now Hubpages because I wanted to earn passive income on something I love to do.

How's the transition going for you?

1. TJHousel profile image88
        TJHouselposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's going very well. Numbers are up and sales are finding there way again. I'm happy to be here.

33. misterhollywood profile image91
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

Welcome to HP!

1. TJHousel profile image88
      TJHouselposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

34. My Bell profile image94
    My Bellposted 9 years ago

Primary reason is my love to write but the money is the icing on the cake.

I'm the same way My Bell! I just have a chip the drives me to write.

35. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 9 years ago

Both my brother, both

Thanks!!

36. fpherj48 profile image60

I began "writing" I'm guessing, long before you entered the world, dear young one.  When I joined HP, I had been writing a monthly column for a local magazine. I wasn't very happy doing that, but there's no doubt I HAVE to write as sure as I have to breathe.....so......when I joined HP, it was 100% for my love affair with words.  In fact, way back then, I wasn't even aware there was compensation to be earned.
    The money part came as a bonus and who can say that extra cash is a problem?
    The other bonus for me, far more valuable than $$$...is the community of some of the most wonderful, lovable and talented people in the world!

37. fpherj48 profile image60

FFC....."down by the river?"  Consider yourself upper class.  My dollars don't qualify me for River-Front space!...What are you box dimensions??!

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Depends on what kinds of appliance boxes they're throwing away at the Sears Hardware Center on a given day. They get squishy in the rain so you have to exchange for a fresh one every once in a while. Washer/dryer boxes are a little tight, but MAN, When a refrigerator box gets tossed out, those are like Condominiums!!

38. JustLivingOnline profile image73
    JustLivingOnlineposted 9 years ago

most for the money.  Probably 80-20

That's honest:)

1. JustLivingOnline profile image73
        JustLivingOnlineposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't have an adsense account so it can't be for the money...

39. profile image0
    debW07posted 9 years ago

I write because I enjoy it, the money is icing on the cake.

Hey that works too DebW07 - and now you are making me think of Cake!

40. Lynne-Modranski profile image80
    Lynne-Modranskiposted 9 years ago

I've been writing for as long as I can remember.  First poetry, then songs, then Bible Studies, Sermons, Commentaries and now even books. 

I started posting it online because if I wanted to quit my day job I had to be able to bring in a bit of income. 

So, in answer to your question .. . both!

41. dhimanreena profile image65
    dhimanreenaposted 9 years ago

Truly speaking, I am writing simply because I love to do it. You will be surprised to know that I haven't linked up any paypal or adsense account with my hubpage account. Whenever I write a new article, I desperately wait to get it featured on the site. When I watch my individual hub page score then it gives me an immense pleasure.

So personally I am here to enjoy writing and meet some eminent writers !!!

1. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can totally relate to that dhimanreena. I applied for adsense about 10 months ago after being here for 3 years already. Just reached my first payout, but the money isn't while I'm here. Ilove to write and read creative writing of other talented people. I hope to read your hubs as you obviously have a passion for writing.

42. ForEverProud profile image77
    ForEverProudposted 9 years ago

I wrote a couple of Lenses for Squidoo simply because the subjects were something I wanted to share with others.  I also enjoy writing, but the majority of my writing is poetry and short stories. The money I made at Squidoo was not a large amount and what I did make I donated to a charity. I wish the same charity option was available on HubPages.  While I am waiting for my Lenses to be transferred, I've written two Hubs ... again on subjects I felt compelled to share with others.

1. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Same here ForEverProud. mainly poetry and short stories. As for donating to charity, it would be good to have that option. However I have only just reached my first payout after being here for 4 years so the charities wouldn't be lining up for what I could donate. I have to check your hubs.

43. caseymel profile image89
    caseymelposted 9 years ago

I do it for a little of both reasons.  I am a stay at home mom, so it is nice to write down my thoughts and have some adult interaction, but I am also trying to make money from home to help with the bills so I can keep staying home.

44. Zaina Star profile image61
    Zaina Starposted 9 years ago

I hub because i love writting, in fact i'm trying to learn how to be a good writter for i'm studying journalism and i need to improve my writting skills.

45. Katya Drake profile image59
    Katya Drakeposted 9 years ago

Both. I love writing. It helps me relax. I need some extra money too. However, I have to say that as of yet, the money has not been anything to brag about.

I hear you Katya. I'm thinking it's gonna take time for the $ to happen.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)