jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What do you find to be more important: Education or Experience?

1. Jordan Hemmann profile image59
    Jordan Hemmannposted 7 years ago

What do you find to be more important: Education or Experience?

2. WordPlay profile image59
    WordPlayposted 7 years ago

Without a doubt, for me it's experience. I couldn't have learned even a tenth of what I know from school.

3. edekeful profile image80
    edekefulposted 7 years ago

I think it is one of those questions where you can't find one right answer. For example what do you love more, your sister or your mother? You wont chose because the answer is both.

I think that Experience without education isn't the best thing in the World, because education not just gives you some kind of knowledge, but it forms your views about your life, etc.. But pure education without experience isn't the best thing too.

So the answer is both.

4. brentwilliams2 profile image70
    brentwilliams2posted 7 years ago

I think the number one benefit to a formal education is proving to yourself and others that you can make it through that type of environment.  Education requires a high level of willpower and self control, in order to not play on the Internet all day when you should be studying. 

But when it comes to practical knowledge, I think experience is key, as people tend to learn when they are in real-life situations and can apply that knowledge to scenarios that are actually happening versus hypothetical situations.

5. RunescapePro profile image58
    RunescapeProposted 7 years ago

Education is good for allowing learning in a safe environment. It allows you to learn without having to worry about what will happen if you mess up.

However, I still believe that experience is the best way to learn. It gives you a chance to learn in a way you never could in a school.

6. garyyoungberg profile image60
    garyyoungbergposted 7 years ago

Education is necessary to provide a foundation.  Beyond that, its hard to say what was most important.  My father and mother helped shape my character.  I have learned much from my wife and having been a father.  My social and business experiences also have provided invaluable lessons. It is hard to say that one is more important than another.

7. kannanwrites profile image92
    kannanwritesposted 7 years ago

Education is more important to me but at the same time I truly believe in the adage that “Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.”

8. Janiferlopz profile image61
    Janiferlopzposted 7 years ago

Both are very important.You can polish your Experience through Education.

9. Scott_Grigg profile image40
    Scott_Griggposted 7 years ago

Experience trumps education almost every time. I know of lot of really educated people who can't really think all that much. Give me someone who has been there, done that over book learning anyday.

10. Rob Hanlon profile image60
    Rob Hanlonposted 7 years ago

Basic education plus sound experience would outweigh any academic qualifications in my book.

Though I wish, in hindsight, that I had continued my education at the time, rather than later.

Practical experience 60% Education 40% is a good balance.