I am confused what is more important Family or Job?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (45 posts)
  1. MMMoney profile image60
    MMMoneyposted 14 years ago

I am confused what is more important Family or Job?

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you work to live or do you live to work? Once you answer this one, the other answer will come naturally smile

2. leeberttea profile image56
    leebertteaposted 14 years ago

Yeah if you have to as you're in trouble! Family is definitely more important. You can always get another job.

1. Precious Pearl profile image74
      Precious Pearlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your family takes priority over your job.  Jobs are temporal ... family is forever.

2. MMMoney profile image60
      MMMoneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i like the answer but  if job require you to work late then how to compromise?

1. leeberttea profile image56
        leebertteaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We all have choices to make.  I don't know what you do for a living but some job requirements are just a part of a chosen career and your family should accept those, like a doctor being on call and answering emergencies, or a policeman having to rotate shifts. Other jobs pressure you to work overtime and may even consider some overtime to be a requirement, but no matter what they require it is still usually your choice. Bottom line is you can always get another job.

2. RisingBreeze profile image61
        RisingBreezeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Find time. Work your schedule around to where you can spend some form of time with your family. Whether it's spending time eating a meal together (breakfast if you can't be there for dinner) or playing a game, any time at all is important, even if it's only in short bursts. If you find yourself still unable to find the time and you DO value being around your family, perhaps you should look into another job if your employers won't work with you to come up with a more suitable schedule.

that good take to find time

3. Precious Pearl profile image74
        Precious Pearlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you can set aside special time that is just for the family during your off-time.  Make it a priority ... just as important as the job and make sure that you communicate that to them.  I set aside time for my daughter that is just for her ... this let's her know she is a priority in my life.

3. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 14 years ago

Both really, if you want to have a family you must first be able to provide for them so balance in both areas is the answer in my opinion.  BTW love your avatar. smile

very nice reply

4. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 14 years ago

For me it's the job, because that's how I survive, but I am aware that the world is full of examples of men and women who put their job first and when they slowed down found that their family have moved on emotionally and sometimes physically.

5. Rafini profile image80
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Family is more important unless you don't have family - the key is balancing your priorities.

6. saddlerider1 profile image59
    saddlerider1posted 14 years ago

Family comes first, job always second. One can always find another job, one can't replace family.

some time hard to find job then what to do

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i concur! smile

7. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 14 years ago

You really need to ask?...

I hope you are kidding. I could see asking if people think God or family comes first... but not your job.

8. CYBERSUPE profile image58
    CYBERSUPEposted 14 years ago

I am confused. Why would you ask a stupid question such as this anyway. I can only think that you do not have a family, for which I feel sorry for you or you just wanted to provoke a reaction. If so, you won.

Please do not answer if you do not like the question

9. profile image0
    askpowersposted 14 years ago

Definitely family is more important. but this should be kept in mind that without money you can not survive smile
    but there is actually need of balancing between family and job. Both are important, but family is at very high priority.

10. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Family is very important, the reason you need to make money is for your family. Sometimes there is a compromise, balance is important, earning money and making your family happy and always being there for them when they need you.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some time ago in another life in a different country I was facing this tough decision. Work or my little son, who could not survive in a daycare - he was sick all the time and doctors told me to quit my job and take care of him. I knew: the job I had - I could never replace it ! Never. And I liked it. And I needed it very much! But I equally could not replace my little son. Sure, I quitted my job. Sure I never had a job like that. Sure I had to face poverty but my son survived and was healthy! And it was my best reward for everything.

11. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 14 years ago

The problems, most of them ,  in America today are directly related to "job or family" choices , Latch key kids as adults are the most problematic of our society. Really ,I think most people know the amswer to this one . Jobs come and go , as a valuable employee ? Watch what happens if you get sick or something , your job will drop you like a hot rock, jobs come and go , but families just go .Stick with the fam........

12. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Family is the most important.  Jobs come and go, and the truth be told, no matter how hard you work for a company, when you slip up, that's when they will notice.  Family will always be there for you.  How to balance?  Learn and practice saying "no" when asked to work overtime or asked to choose work above family.  Stand your ground firmly, and you will see the true colors come out.  If it is a company that values you, they will support your decision.  If it is a company that does not respect or value you, you will see negative results.  If it is the latter case, you will have to question yourself: do you really want to work for a company that does not mesh with your values.

very nicely said balance in very important

13. raisingme profile image72
    raisingmeposted 14 years ago

Look at who and what outside of your family and your that you are giving your time and energy to.  Do they or does it contribute to you in a positive way or do they or it take your time and attention away from areas of your life that could benefit more from your time and attention.  Make a list, prioritize it, leave behind anyone and anything that gobbles up your time and attention.  Then reinvest your freed up time in your top priorities.

good answer

14. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 14 years ago

Family should always come first - I see a lot of parents dragging their kids through mcdonalds in their SUV headed for a ball game - not for the kids , but to show off their two jobs and fancy paint job , while they are only one of those pay checks away from being homeless - but , gotta make that payment on that SUV - fill it up with expensive gas , wear fancy clothes and work the two jobs killing themselves just to look all good - when really they should cut one job - get a smaller car - stay home and cook dinner for their family and sit down and eat with their kids - too many children are being sacrificed for the the sake of money , stuff and things these days

another good way to say that family come first

15. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

this is sort of a rhetorical question.  How do you feel about your family ?  If you lost your job or lost your family which wold hurt you most ?

both are bad

16. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 14 years ago

You are certainly confused if you even have to ask this question. 

Family (and I'm talking in the broadest context, not just your spouce and kids) is the most important thing you will ever have in your life.

Work is something you do to survive, to pay the bills, to get the material things you need and want.  It's what you do for your family, not instead of your family.

Jobs come and go.  You can make your own job, change your job, or quit your job, but your family is who you are, where you come from, and the legacy you will leave behind you after you pass away...

17. fresnavee profile image59
    fresnaveeposted 14 years ago

Family is the most important thing, but if you can't provide for your family and you are the sole provider, then you cannot care for your family. The answer isn't nearly as simple as anyone makes it out to be.

difficult question both are important in life

18. Wendy Krick profile image63
    Wendy Krickposted 14 years ago

Many people are home with their family and Not present. Whether you work or not, be Present with your family because it is what is important.

very nice answer

19. samman profile image61
    sammanposted 14 years ago

I agree with "fresnavee". Family is important but what is the point of having a one if you cannot take care of it! I think you have to do a good job and be there for the family.

20. dahoglund profile image70
    dahoglundposted 14 years ago

There has to be a balance, at least if your are the breadwinner in the family. They depend on you, Therefore for the sake of family you necessarily must take care of duties at work. On the other hand, your job will suffer if you do no keep harmoney with your family. They are interdependent.

21. Medora Trevilian profile image61
    Medora Trevilianposted 14 years ago

Neither. Truth, beauty, justice come first. We neither live to work nor work merely in order to live. We live for our art and our truth. If an employer asks you to betray your values, say "no". If a spouse, a child or a parent asks you to lie for them, say "no". Be true to yourself, and you will be a faithful servant to your master and a loving member of your family.

22. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

It depends on whether you like your family or not.

1. Aya Katz profile image80
      Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And whether you like your family may also depend on how your family feels about your work. If you have a supportive family, then they will be fans of your work, and they will understand that more is involved than earning money. But if you have a family that evaluates your work on the basis of how much money it brings in per hour spent away from them, then you have set yourself up for a really  big conflict between family and work. If you love your work, your family needs to love it, too, or at least understand that it's not just a way to support them financially.

23. hubconnie profile image57
    hubconnieposted 14 years ago

Both. Find a time... balance. Both important to our lives.

24. chigoiyke profile image60
    chigoiykeposted 14 years ago

I bet you are confused enough to not learn how to balance your work with your family. It was the family that brought work in the first place.

25. Tom Cornett profile image81
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

I bring home the dough and she bakes the bread.  Work is part of love.  The best fruits of labor is when a family works together. Nobody has ever been praised at a funeral for being the best couch potato in the family.  smile

26. richtwf profile image59
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

We need to work, but bottom-line is family; they're are more important than work.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)