jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Have you ever been fired from a job unfairly?

1. BenWritings profile image80
    BenWritingsposted 6 years ago

Have you ever been fired from a job unfairly?

Without good cause, or because of something stupid? Crazy stories welcome.

2. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 6 years ago

It is probably half people who can tell you that they have not been fired from a job unfairly.

3. GNelson profile image78
    GNelsonposted 6 years ago

In most states you are an "at will" employee and can be fired for almost any reason as long as it doesn't violate state or federal discrimination laws or violate a Union contract.  I have been fired because I wouldn't take a lie detector test.  I have been fired because I wouldn't crawl through sewage under an retirement home.  As an employee at will that was all perfectly legal.  I decided to get a union job and an education after that and haven't had any more problems.

4. profile image0
    Ghostflowersposted 6 years ago

Yes, I have. A new group of people bought out the golf course I worked at. They were running under a government program called SNDS, which promotes First Nations jobs, and so the government pays a portion of their wages. Everyone who had worked their previously, including cleaning staff who had been there more than a decade, were fired for First Nations to be hired. I had worked there two years in the kitchen for banquets and was well experienced and Food Safe certified, but was replaced by a 16 year old First Nations person who had no experience.  I feel this was very unfair.

5. Ken Barton profile image57
    Ken Bartonposted 6 years ago

I was fired just once for not knowing how to do my job, but the person who did the firing was also the one who was suppose to train me.  Since she refused to train me, how was it my fault I couldn't learn my job?  That's the hazard of working for unreasonable people with no sense of honor.  As it was, they kept me on in a lower position that required no training at all.  I did that job for a few more months and took a job that paid three times the wage I was making.  The best thing to do is learn how to develop wealth vs holding down a 9 - 5 job.  Do what you love to do, what you have a passion for, and you'll never work another day in your life.

working