jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Who helped you decide what to do with your life?

1. Inventurist profile image77
    Inventuristposted 6 years ago

Who helped you decide what to do with your life?

I love helping college students think through what their options are and where they are going. If you don't know where you are going, any path will take you there - but if you have a desired outcome, it takes a reasoned plan.

2. Rich McKelvey profile image70
    Rich McKelveyposted 6 years ago

The one person I would select would be Napoleon Hill, I read his book Think and Grow Rich while I was stationed in Viet Nam in 1966. This led me on a life journey through the school of "Positive Mental Attitude". I continued to read hundreds of books and listened to as many audio tapes as I could get my hands on. Napoleon Hill was always my "go to" guy when things weren't going exactly as planned. Thankfully, I have had a long and successful business career, so I believe that positive reinforcement played a major factor in my life.

3. workn2it profile image79
    workn2itposted 6 years ago

That sounds like a really great thing that you are doing.  When I was trying to decide what to do with my life, I didn't have anyone that helped.  I chose a career based on availablity of jobs in the field instead of what I loved.  I could have used some support at that time in finding something that went along with what I loved and was available with good work and effort.  If I'd gone with my dream, it would have been in the realms of journalism.  Anyway, I decided to go with that in my older age.  I just could have been farther if I'd started then with guidance.  I like what you do Inventurist.

4. Robertj64 profile image69
    Robertj64posted 6 years ago

Hi Inventurist,

Again, I covered your question on my hub.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Corner-Hub-Thur … -12th-2011

Thank you for your question!

5. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 6 years ago

No one but myself, lets just say the career guidance teacher we had in school was useless and what I did for the last 10 years in not where I see myself in 10 years time. Gradually changing my life these days to what I really want to do..

6. Jowy2000 profile image83
    Jowy2000posted 6 years ago

hmm, a teacher in high school influenced me a lot, but ultimately it was my decision smile

Throughout college I only found reinforcement for what I already had decided.

7. Aiven profile image59
    Aivenposted 6 years ago

No one does. I decided it myself. If you do not know where to go you will lose a lot of time... Everybody must have a goal. It's a key to success.

8. SD Dickens profile image84
    SD Dickensposted 6 years ago

I decided myself based on a lot of reading and learning about what would be a good fit for me.

9. profile image47
    Ourfamily2yoursposted 6 years ago

I think that my Grandparents helped me through teaching me to take the bad and find something good.  There is a positive to EVERYTHING that happens to us and with that advice has made me who I am.  Being abused child, has helped me to help other children so that that does not happen to them.

working