What action can you take against an employer who is refusing to pay you?

  1. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

    What action can you take against an employer who is refusing to pay you?

    I am technically a "contractor" and not an employee, but I do 90% of my work for one company. Anyway, the boss has decided to withold several thousand dollars from me for two months now. I think the company may be having issues with capital. How can I fight this legally? Bear in mind I am flat broke...I mean food stamps broke.

  2. profile image0
    michaelbt2posted 6 years ago

    I also do contract or freelance work. If you do not have anything written in contract there is no obligation to pay. Always, always, always get a deposit up front for a specified percentage.

    Lets look at it in terms of the stock market. Owning part of a company cost you 'X' amount of money (your time). The company filed bankruptcy (issues with capital). You the owner of the stock (you) lose all assets placed into the company when and if they decide to restructure.

    All I can say, do not touch any work of theirs until the debt is paid.

    Sorry to hear the situation.

  3. truthfornow profile image82
    truthfornowposted 6 years ago

    I know someone that got their money after a long time of no pay and they were a contractor.  He had to hire an attorney.  I don't know if free legal services will work on this issue.  You can also report the company to the department of labor wage and hour division because they violated the law.  Takes a long time to get anything done, so get started ASAP.  Good luck.