jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should I re-skill?

1. lsmith57 profile image72
    lsmith57posted 6 years ago

Should I re-skill?

So am I too old to employ or just not skilled enough? I am 53,  a retired police officer, I have leadership skills, I have experience in presenting and managing sickness and performance, IT skills to name but a few but I am still struggling to find work?

2. danfresnourban profile image64
    danfresnourbanposted 6 years ago

You are on the right track by asking this question because it may lead to some connections. I believe the best way to get a job is to work your network of friends and family. If the network isn't big enough, make it bigger by joining social groups and social networking.

Linkedin is a great site for networking.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

Why work for someone else when you can start a consulting service, security force,give safety lectures to schools...etc

4. supplies expert profile image60
    supplies expertposted 6 years ago

What are your real interests?  At this age I think it probably makes sense to further educate yourself only in something you're really interested in, otherwise you'll be more qualified for something you don't enjoy.  If IT is one of your interests, try going to a technical school and further your skills, and start at the bottom of a company and work your way up.  But if being a police officer was what you really truly enjoyed, then I'd agree with Stacie L, consulting service, security, or safety lectures would be a great way to spend some time.

I have a friend who is a retired police officer who is a gun distributor, he buys guns at auctions and then sells them to stores throughout the local area.  He enjoys it because he always enjoyed stuff like that.  He also still gets to see a bunch of his old buddies from the force because they always are doing similar stuff. 

Just a few other thoughts.

working