jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

When will be the best time to change career or companies? Will it not be risky t

1. Xinox Leugim profile image60
    Xinox Leugimposted 6 years ago

When will be the best time to change career or companies? Will it not be risky to try something new?

2. wheelinallover profile image77
    wheelinalloverposted 6 years ago

It is up to each individual to choose what they think is right for them. The "average" amount of time most people stayed with a company was about five years. I don't have current statistics this was about four years ago.

In today's economy you would want to see the track record of the company you are considering moving to. If they are positioned for good growth in the future and have enough resources to hold on until the economy improves then it would probably be a good move.

If you want to know the current trends it would be good to find hubs by Patti Inglish MS Her hubs are about who are hiring and where. This will give you and idea of what to look for that will not be as risky.

3. Dreamers Pen profile image58
    Dreamers Penposted 6 years ago

If changing careers also means changing job industries, it can be a pain.  If you been in one industry for a long time for 15 to 20 years and more, places will be afraid to hire you in fear if something comes along in your original field that you will leave fast.  My dad had that problem when he was thinking of leaving the exhibit industry and he was in it for 20 years at the time.  Places thought he was overqualified and figured if a job came up with an exhibit company he would leave in a heartbeat.

That's the only risk I can see is if you were in a career too long and no one would even look into you because of it.  It doesn't hurt to apply while still working at your original career/job.

But it's up to the individual to choose when they think is the right time for them.

4. Xinox Leugim profile image60
    Xinox Leugimposted 6 years ago

Thanks dreamers pen. This could really be a dilemma when you have stayed very long in a single industry like I do. Honestly, your thoughts has the more firmed up my position that leaving a company where your bread and butter for the family has been this one would be very risky. And to think that other firms would still be interested in you when you are at this age already?  Sometimes we would be lured to jump off to another company thinking that the next one would be better than what we are in now, but can we really be sure that it is.

working