jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Any suggestions on how to stay healthy and rested?

1. aDayInMyLife1 profile image91
    aDayInMyLife1posted 6 years ago

Any suggestions on how to stay healthy and rested?

My schedule consists of working both day and night shifts within the same week. I also have a 5 and 9 year old. Any suggestion on how I can remain healthy and get adequate sleep, as well as being a good parent to my children?

2. iloveallrecipes profile image56
    iloveallrecipesposted 6 years ago

hi friend,
    seem to be a very busy parent. take my share and I hope it make a kind help for your situation.
    Firstly, that is your health. Lack of sleep, then if too frequent can lead to depression and fatigue. With your work shifts, ask for a scientific schedule.
    Secondly, for your children, I think that your kids can take care themselves together, the 9 can help and look after the younger. Your task is how to prepare them a good foods, good timetable and note. Write down a note or memo to remind them what to do during your absence. When you have work off, any time, spend time to talk to them and share with them.
    Just a few words that I can share and hope that it's useful.
    Reply me if it make a kind help.

3. imichelle profile image75
    imichelleposted 6 years ago

The two tips I have would be to organize your time wisely and bring in as many people as you trust to help you with as much as they can.

Friends are an immeasurable resource during times of heavy stress and work.  I wish you luck because as iloveallrecipes said, you seem to be a very busy parent!

4. athena2011 profile image56
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

What you describe sounds like you have very limited time so I would suggest that you prioritize things in your life.

You have to make sure that you get adequate sleep (7-8 hours daily) or it will eventually take its toll on your health. If you're unhealthy you will be no good for your kids either so this is really important.

Whenever you are feeling a little overwhelmed, stop, take some deep breaths and then move on.

Ask for help if you have resources like neighbors, friends or family who can help out with the kids.

I agree with getting the kids to play a part in looking after themselves also. Even though they are only 9 and 5 there are still things they can help you with, eg. putting away their folded laundry. It gives them a sense of responsibility which is an added benefit.

5. DrMikeFitz profile image58
    DrMikeFitzposted 6 years ago

starting with the last item-as a parent, you truly CANNOT mess it up! no matter who we are we perceive these "voids" as children, which ultimately determine our "values" that drive us later in life. as second oldest of 8 kids, have asked all my sisters what their childhoods were like-there are eight totally different events for the same family in the same house.

i found a naturally based L-arginine supplement that not only dilates the vascular system, but the two types of L-arginine that are plant based actually strip plaque from the arteries. what this has done for me as a 36 year type 1 diabetic is remove the belly i had, reduced my insulin intake by 30% (miracle) with continued stable sugar levels, and given me great energy in the day with wonderful sleep at night.

while supplements for many are not possible both diet and exercise can mitigate so very much. being completely gluten and dairy free has made a huge difference in the whole families well being with moderate exercise.

water-having a source of great water (at least non-chlorinated) helps too for flushing and cleansing. best wishes! don't worry, you ARE a great parent! Dr. Mike