How do you train a person when he/she is just not picking up on simple tasks?

1. katielrose profile image60
    katielroseposted 6 years ago

How do you train a person when he/she is just not picking up on simple tasks?

I have a new girl that I am training at work. She's college educated, enthusiastic, and hard-working, and it's a fairly easy job but she is still struggling with some of the most basic tasks. I need new ideas.

2. jpcmc profile image88
    jpcmcposted 6 years ago

Check if she has the basic required skills and knowledge to accomplish the task.  The competency and performance gaps will help you determine her level of knowledge and skills specific to the tasks assigned to her.

Break down the tasks even further.  even if it is so simple, I'm sure the task can be broken down into simler components.

Give her a step by step guide in accomplishing the task.  You can give a flowchart or a set of simple instructions.

Ask the girl what she finds difficult.  Work on that.

Observe her as she does the task and point out where she made the mistakes afterwards.  An alternative is to point out the mistake at once instead of waiting.

After you exhaust all efforts without productive results you must consider the fact that she may not have the aptitude for the task.

3. pearlmacb profile image73
    pearlmacbposted 6 years ago

Im no expert, but what I do know is that everyone learns in different ways, and many struggle with applying what they have learnt.
    There is numerous information available online about the different learning styles, which may assist you.

Speaking from my own experience, even though I was equiped to do my job....I struggled with my desktop publishing skills. My trainer discovered a method which worked for a multi-tasked person like myself, he allowed me to work on which tasks I wanted to, at which given time I wanted to, as long as I met the deadlines.
    The tasks were broken down to mini goals, this way my concentration levels were higher, resulting in completed tasks for that day. 

Keep in mind, some have issues with confidence. Maybe even simple encouragement may help.